Unruly B&G Macaw

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Hi and welcome to you & Thomas. He's gorgeous! I have a female Blue & Gold, Madison. I guess she's about 12 years old now. I didn't have the same issues with her as your having with your new boy because I got her as a young chick who still needed hand feeding. She was the only one though, all my other babies were adopted 'problem' birds that other folks didn't want. The heart of almost every single problem with these birds was simply poor communication. They communicate VERY well, and I don't mean because they can talk, I mean body language that the previous owners weren't willing to listen too.

As everyone else has already stated, if the bird is biting in a mean way, a stick would probably work. I really don't like sticks. I have always just been able to get through to birds and handle them without much fear. Mostly this is just from, again, body language. When I first meet them I usually stretch my 'wings' slightly in greeting, and that almost always gets instant good attention. I try to extrude confidence and they see it and feel it and I am usually able to proceed without much trouble. (I wish I could be that confident with humans)

However, it doesn't sound to me like Thomas is really trying to hurt you, he's just trying to dominate and/or make a point with you. So, again, unless the bird is REALLY going for the gold, (doesn't sound like Thomas is) I would just accept the bite and remain as unruffled as you can. Let Thomas know your not intimidated by him. I do this with my Grey as often as possible because he needs to understand that he cannot use biting as a way to get what he wants. Do not let him near your face until you are QUITE sure of your relationship with him.

I used a squirt gun with my Grey the other day, 3 times around his foot/leg area. He would NOT stop with the extreme whistling in the middle of the night and he needed to be told to stop. Just telling him to stop didn't work as I would receive a very stubborn, NO! and sometimes even be told I was BAD MOM. He got the point and I have not had that problem with him again. I have had him for a long time though and we have a decent relationship, so he didn't get too angry with me. If it didn't work with Thomas for his bad behavior, I wouldn't do it again. A water gun or sterile water sprayer can be a fun thing too... spraying it into the air over him on a hot day when you have a good friendship going.

I would to the same thing with the screaming. Just try and ignore it. Don't get louder as he will think you are responding to him. It's just like a small child, throwing a tantrum in the aisle because they want a new toy they can't have. If you need to, leave the room. It will be a very loud couple of weeks but he WILL eventually get the point. Keep in mind if you slip up and yell at him or something you will probably have to start all over again. The flock call thing is different. Theres nothing wrong with responding to that as long as it doesn't prompt him into psycho screaming mode. If it does, try just going to say hi more often so he knows your still around.

I'm sure you already know not to allow him shoulder time or to climb on your arms if he is biting you or anxious. some people say don't ever let a large bird on your shoulder but I think it depends on the bird and the person. Also the situation. If I'm walking into a crowded room of strangers with Madison, she is not on my shoulder. She's usually on my hand half stuck to my chest. (Kind of embarrassing.. when she's nervous she likes to.. ahem.. grab onto one side of my chest with her foot and hold on for dear life..lol) Also, this makes it easier for me to ward off dumb people who thinks it's a good idea to reach out and touch an animal they don't know, regardless of the danger.

I hate to use my birds cages as a punishment because I want them to see their cages as a good place, where they can go to feel safe. For now though, theres really nothing else you can do. Eventually you two will reach an understanding and you can decide for yourself what the best 'time out' thing will be. Unfortunately, you will always need a time out 'thing' because, face it, you just adopted a perpetual 5 year old human child.
As some folks suggested, get or make a play stand and maybe have it in another room, a central room where he'd be getting more attention. This can be the place he gets to go when he's being a good boy.

The shower idea was wonderful!! I take my birds with me all the time. They love watching me shower but hate when I get them wet. Maybe you could have a morning routine with Thomas where he comes in and watches you shower and then can participate in some 'cleaning rituals'. For example, Madison has her own tooth brush which she uses to brush her beak while I brush my teeth. (child-safe toothbrush.. don't do this if Thomas you can't trust thomas not to injest softer toy items) It's pretty funny. She also likes me to wipe her face with the same wash cloth I used to wash mine, when I'm done. If I have some sort of paper towel or something, I tell her to put it in the garbage and then praise her lavishly when she does it. It's a great way to include her and make her feel good about herself.

I honestly don't have much of a problem with Madison, as her bites are usually more of a joke..for her. She will nip.. then nip a little harder and run away screaming 'no no ow booboo'. You'd think I beat her or something, with the way she reacts but the only physical punishment she has ever gotten was a bite back when she bit my finger too hard. This was ONLY because the two of us have a very good relationship and I know her body language VERY WELL. I didn't hurt her, just let her know that this was unacceptable in the way she would understand best. Obviously don't do this with Thomas, you might lose an eye.
Eek! sorry this was so long.. I just love talkin' bird:)
Congratulations on your new addition, I wish you the best of luck.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
On the regurgitation. Madison is ALWAYS doing it and I have just come to accept that as something that can't be changed. When she was a baby she was very sick and I was stuck tube feeding her for quite awhile. To get her to eat on her own I would sometimes kind of put her food on my lips and get her to take it from me. Not a good idea but at this point I was more concerned with her survival than a few bad habits.
Thomas is giving you a huge compliment, he loves you! :) Just like Tex said, it's a hard call!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Some excellent advise there, and really I can't stess enough about Cage Aggression, your boy could do some serious damage to you if that were to happen. Good Luck to ya. Let us know how its going. :D

OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
Update...still a screamer. I'm not seeing how the stick thing will work. I walk into the room..he screams..I cover his cage..he screams again..then gets quiet in 30 seconds or so. I get him out of his cage with a stick..he screams the entire time he is on the stick till I put him on the playstand. He screams on the playstand. he screams if I get up and walk into the kitchen. I carry him to the couch to watch TV..he screams on my arm or my finger..or while he's on my lap watching TV. If I'm quiet..he's quiet. If I say so much as hello..he screams. You don't even wanna know what happens if I try and talk on the phone. If he's on the playstand...he'll climb down..walk over to the couch...climb on to the couch next to me...and you guessed it..scream. He doesn't scream nearly as much with the girlfriend..and actually has conversations with her..but he also doesn't come "visit" her either. I can actually call him to climb down the playstand and come on over. I think for whatever reason he associates talking to me with screaming. I think I'm going to move his cage and playstand to different locations to mess him up.

Last edited:

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I'm sorry that nothing seems to be working...I can't even fathom living with a screaming macaw, they are so much louder than Amazons! I feel a fraction of your pain :( I hope that you can find a solution soon, to save your sanity!

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
If you have not had him long then he is trying to settle in and this includes, testing, screaming and biting.

The first few weeks of bringing a secondhand bird home is the easy period or honeymoon period.

With him being 9 years old it will take some time for him to adjust to his new home. BE PATIENT

When he screams talk softly to him. you can tell him things like quiet down, your ok. When you leave the room sometimes take him with you and show him what you are doing and then other times make calls(talking to him) back to him when he screams..

Always ask the bird if he wants scratches and watch his body language.

You really have to earn a secondhand birds trust.

They have been given up and they are mad, sad, and insecure with their new environment.

Move slowly with him, don't force or be to pushy with him.
Also don't let him push you around either. Make sure he steps up and stick train him if you can. By stick training I mean a hand held perch that you can use for the bird to step up on.

With love time and patience and more patience your bird will settle down..

Covering the cage thing does not work. You really can't punish a bird.
Can't really be bossy with a bird that really doesn't work either.

Only time, patience, consistency, proper diet and sleep with/for the bird can work

Last edited:
OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the good and continuing advice. lately he has also taken to "lunging" at you when you walk by..and if he gets a hold..he "goes for the gold"...but so far I can usually read his body language and get out of the way. This will be an excercise in patience. I figure I have 80yrs to get him right.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Wicked are you familiar with Macaw Lunge biting? There's some good news and some bad news to this ...

GOOD NEWS: ALL MACAWS DO IT .. it's part of their nature it's a way of playing BUT it establishes dominance in a natural flock hierarchy ...

BAD NEWS: Because you flinch, you back down, you avoid ... you are not high up on the hierarchy, your B&G now thinks that HE is in control of the relationship, that HE is the flock leader ...

Do some research on Lunge Biting in macaws AND (for your own safety) do some research on Bite Pressure Training for Macaws ...

2 things that MUST BE TRAINED into rescue Macaws (into ANY BIG BIRDS) is they MUST BE TRAINED TO STEP UP FROM ANYWHERE ANYTIME & They MUST be bite pressure trained!

OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
Good news is that he always steps up on command. Although if you have him on your arm and take him to his stand and he doesn't want to go..he'll bite your forearm...I'm getting better at not flinching. I look like a heroin addict.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
There is another issue - you have to teach your B&G that "Step-Up" is a command to be obeyed and not a suggestion to take lightly ... I have to do this with two little strong-headed conures ... and thought I don't get bitten per se I do get pinched and I think that is twice as annoying as biting because IT'S PURPOSEFUL, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING ... Hamlet takes the corner of his beak, and just grabs a little piece of flesh and "pinch" ... it's so F'n annoying!

OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
Yeah he does the pinching thing too...and that hurts twice as much as a bite...and always draws blood.

Good news...the screaming is going down. Everytime he screams..I turn my head and walk away..right away. If he's quiet for 20 seconds or so..I'll talk to him from the other room..and keep talking as I walk back in...then if he screams..bam right back out. The screaming while still a bit much..is also very improved. He only does the hurtful biting when he doesn't get his way.I can no kidding call him from his playstand..he'll climb down..walk across the floor..over to the couch..come up the couch...then come hang out next me..but heaven forbid if I try to take him back to his cage if I have to step out for a sec...that's when I get a bite. Otherwise he is actually pretty tame, I can toss him on his back...scratch his chest, open his wings...scratch his neck...etc...then sometimes out of the blue..wack with a good sized pinch to the soft skin of the forearm of upper arm...an entirely new level of pain. I think you guys are right in that patience is going to be the key.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Wicked, how long have you had him? Macaws are KNOWN for testing boundaries with new relationships ... set firm boundaries and rules now and you will have a life-long friend who is fun to be with ...

OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
I've had him for almost a year. This behavior however is a bit new, and seems to cooincide with my new work schedule..which keeps me away from the house for 3 days at a time. So he has had to get used to the GF being home more than me. I think this might be somewhat related. First 6-8 months...great bird. Luckily this current assignment is only for 1 more year..then it's 7-430 for 4-5 days a week and home every afternoon/evening.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I think you are on the right way to get him round!Good job!:D

And you are right, patience is the key...:D

Keep it up and tell us how you get on!:)

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
If you have not had him long then he is trying to settle in and this includes, testing, screaming and biting.

The first few weeks of bringing a secondhand bird home is the easy period or honeymoon period.

With him being 9 years old it will take some time for him to adjust to his new home. BE PATIENT

When he screams talk softly to him. you can tell him things like quiet down, your ok. When you leave the room sometimes take him with you and show him what you are doing and then other times make calls(talking to him) back to him when he screams..

Always ask the bird if he wants scratches and watch his body language.

You really have to earn a secondhand birds trust.

They have been given up and they are mad, sad, and insecure with their new environment.

Move slowly with him, don't force or be to pushy with him.
Also don't let him push you around either. Make sure he steps up and stick train him if you can. By stick training I mean a hand held perch that you can use for the bird to step up on.

With love time and patience and more patience your bird will settle down..

Covering the cage thing does not work. You really can't punish a bird.
Can't really be bossy with a bird that really doesn't work either.

Only time, patience, consistency, proper diet and sleep with/for the bird can work

I agree. You're dealing with two things, fid insecurity and no true knowledge of history.

Also, the step-up command is paramount. It is the one MUST be obeyed at any point in time. Though, keep in mind, it can also be used to initiate calm after and during behavioral episodes.

When Keupi (a sennie, but this may help you) gets in a mode, I use the up command to calm him down. I start with the command itself and then use the 'ladder' (finger to finger) and gradually change the tone of my voice from command to coo-ing/rewarding. In other words, I use the absolute command to re-focus him, and then as we go through ladder play shift it to 'good baby.' It diffuses situations and allows for a peaceful end for your fid.

Sometimes they get so wound up and need a wind down.

Birdiemommy

Aug 24, 2007
Wicked, it sounds to me like your bird is afraid that you are going to desert him or give him away like his previous owner did. Birds become very bonded to their owners. It's like giving away a child. If he lets you turn him on his back and scratch his chest he obviously trusts you. Your work schedule is probably scaring him. I'm glad to hear it isn't always going to be that way.

I would just give him lots of reassurance and love. Does your girlfriend spend a lot of time with him? He probably needs the attention when you're away.

Have you heard of clicker training? I just got a book on it and have started it here with my Shamrock Macaw, and so far she's very responsive and thinks it's a great game to do target training. It also gets her out of her "moods" when she's having one of those "flashing eyes" days. You can do a search on the internet if you're interested, but basically it's an easy way to train your bird with only positive reinforcement. And it works.

OP
W

wickedsprint

Aug 5, 2007
The GF takes him out every day and talks to him etc, but is scared to handle him. He responds well to her too, talks to her more than me too, likely because he sees her more. I will look into the clicker training, thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts