Unsure which way to go regarding new feather baby

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
I have the opportunity to get a new little friend after my lutino Missy, not quite 4 months old, got out two days ago. I know it's still early but I am hurting and I was thinking about getting her a friend prior to her escape so...
Thing is, how do I decide which way to go. On one hand I could get another little lutino and go thru the hand rearing all over again, which I don't mind doing, but if, with masses of luck, I get Missy back, how will she accept something other than her vying for my attention?
The other choice is a hand reared lavender female of the same age as Missy. They say she is very friendly and she is a pretty wee thing. But, again, if I get Missy back, how will she handle it and, retraining. I am thinking that even tho she is hand reared it would take awhile for her to get used to this home and would therefore be sort of... cage bound, for awhile... good way to start training her properly re cage time and out of cage time... what I missed in doing with Missy.
I don't know how to decide this.
Can any of you more experienced people help me please?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
First of all, I'm very sorry that Missy flew away!

I would say get the baby, but the only reason why is it's still just that-a baby. You can partially shape it's personality, and if Missy does come back (never give up hope), the baby will have an easier time adapting itself to her personality than an older bird.

Both birds would work well though, choose which one you feel drawn to, as that will be the best option!

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
First of all, I'm very sorry that Missy flew away!

I would say get the baby, but the only reason why is it's still just that-a baby. You can partially shape it's personality, and if Missy does come back (never give up hope), the baby will have an easier time adapting itself to her personality than an older bird.

Both birds would work well though, choose which one you feel drawn to, as that will be the best option!
Thank you. Thing is, I am drawn to them both. The older one has such a beautiful face but after the screw ups I had with Missy, not training her from the beginning... I thought I would have a better chance starting over.... but... being that the baby will look just like Missy, lutino, I don't ever want to think of her as a replacement or a new Missy... It may sound weird but I am thinking it is insulting to Missy.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thank you. Thing is, I am drawn to them both. The older one has such a beautiful face but after the screw ups I had with Missy, not training her from the beginning... I thought I would have a better chance starting over.... but... being that the baby will look just like Missy, lutino, I don't ever want to think of her as a replacement or a new Missy... It may sound weird but I am thinking it is insulting to Missy.

It's ok, I'd feel the same way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts