URGENT! IF YOU HAVE PEAR CLIPS ON YOUR TOY PLS READ

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
My bird got his interramal space punctured by his toy’s clip where it holds the toy to the cage. This is hard to explain in words so i’ll attach a photo but it’s not pleasing to see.
723579CB-3FA7-4661-8BC2-E960B62FBBEB.jpeg
he’s eating, drinking normally and still makes noises fine but he looks extremely scared/stressed (obviously). There was a bit of blood but it stopped fast. He’s with a friend rn since i’m on a trip so I’m not there to take him to the vet. My friend is currently contacting the vet via email since she needs to attach photos.
I’ve NEVER had this happen with any birds in the past and only saw a post like this on a different forum ONCE. Although it’s rare for this to happen, to prevent it from happening, (if you have birds who can unscrew the little metal) pls replace with twine or treated leather strips (do not use string because it can get stuck in their intestines)

He’s an eclectus so his size is pretty big and it still somehow fit. For smaller birds the puncture will be worse pls remove JUST in case!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen? I think the only thing the vet can really do for him is give him antibiotics which I can’t get at the moment. Any advice on what my friend could apply to his gap in the meantime?
Thank u for reading.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh poor guy! He and your friend both must have been so scared.

I'm so glad he's eating ok! Hopefully that means none of the structures are damaged. Do you think doing a warm compress might help soothe the area? Just a cloth with warm water held gently there for a few minutes a few times a day?

Thank you so much for posting, and for including a photo that isn't too graphic but shows exactly what happened.

Thank you, too, @Flboy and @wrench13 - I check all my quicklinks and clasps daily for looseness but it hadn't occurred to me to keep the narrow side up! Cotton has smaller feet of course but I think it's a good habit to get into. Thank you.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What a horrible experience for your bird and you not being able to immediately be with him!
I hope he's okay!

I also have probably 3 or so pear clips in each of my birds cages, none of them mess with them however and I check them for looseness often.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Oh I didn’t know the placement of the hook can cause that :( thank u
Yes, a major danger if unscrewed! My first time ever touching a parrot was to remove one of these clasps!
There is also a minor risk of their leg getting caught when the narrower side is down!I

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
How is he doing? Hopefully okay.
He’s doing so much better ty for asking. he’s eating, weight is good, flying, screaming, beak grinding, grooming, hanging upside down, eating&drinking, playing, basically all this normal happy things. Because the only trustable vet in my area is booked until October (even emergency visits r booked with extra $150 ) I will address this incident during his next checkup which is the earlier next visit I could book.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I have one pear clip. My birds never chew it so I'm not concerned, but I will keep the toy outside for when I supervise them just in case. Thanks for letting us know.
Oh, wow!! That's rather scary. I wonder if I should avoid putting those pear clips in Aziza's cage, even though nothing's happened to her so far.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oh, wow!! That's rather scary. I wonder if I should avoid putting those pear clips in Aziza's cage, even though nothing's happened to her so far.
I'd say it's better to move it out just in case. You never know when the moment will come when your bird chews on it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts