Vacation Guilt-Help!

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
So I have an 8 year old cockatiel who I adore, and who adores me. He is crazy about me, which is obviously wonderful.

Here?s the issue: I feel really guilty going on vacation or even on a weekend trip.

I normally leave him with my parents, but they aren?t really comfortable handling him. He gets territorial with them. And often, he keeps screaming and calling for me like 90% of the time I?m gone when he stays with them. They do the best they can, but it?s difficult for them too.

I?ve kept him alone at times when I?m gone foe a day or two (with plenty of food and water of course) and he calls for me constantly as well.

It just breaks my heart that he does that.

Any suggestions. I just feel really guilty leaving him, but at the same time-vacations and trips are necessary for someone?s well being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I know the feeling - nobody can care for the bird like you can. Thereā€™s not much I can offer to help assuage this feeling, itā€™s just part of the territory. Just try to relax and give yourself permission to focus on something other than the bird while vacationing.

Where in this wide world do you live? Do you have a bird store that boards birds? Iā€™d personally be so up a creek if I didnā€™t have this option around me.

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I live in Southern California. There are plenty of bird boarding places. I just feel like it can?t be much better than having him stay with my parents?

Although maybe it can? I also worry about him being exposed to disease from other birds at a boarding facility. I?m sure it would be fine, but you never know?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I totally understand the disease concern. Most boarding places should be requiring disease testing, and wonā€™t board a bird who doesnā€™t have a negative test in hand at the first visit.

The difference is the he isnā€™t with people who are afraid of him, heā€™s with people who know how to care for birds. Hell also have a great opportunity for exposure to new environments and other creatures he otherwise wouldnā€™t experience. Good mental stimulation.

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
That?s true. I?ll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts