vocalization question

kellycraig125

Mar 12, 2015
Alabama
Parrots
I have a 6 month old female Eclectus named Lucy
Hi all. My girl Lucy, who is still a baby at 6 months old, has become rather vocal which we encourage. Not screaming, just chattering a lot and mimicking a good bit (or trying to). She mainly does so when on her perch out with me when I get home from work or also, in her cage after she eats dinner, before bedtime. She literally talks until she falls asleep then- it's so cute.

Yesterday, however, we had some people over for Easter lunch and she talked LOUDLY and screeched some as well. She is used to it just being me and my husband and son, and there was about 6 extra people over, so things got a little louder of course. It seemed like the louder we got, the louder she would get. I assume this is to be expected? Can we expect this every time we have company? We just ignored it, as it didn't really bother anyone, but she was definitely the loudest in the room (barely above my mother, ha!).

To some extent, it depends on the individual. Some just feel compelled to compete when it comes to volume.

I can tell you this, though. My first ekkie, Bixby, used to do the same exact thing that your Lucy is doing, now. But after a while he got used to the gatherings. After maybe the third or fourth such gathering, it became old hat for him and he stopped "competing"... remaining as calm and quiet as always.

Okay I was just wondering if anyone else dealt with this. :) I am hosting a baby shower at my house in May and am hoping she doesn't do that the whole time! I will have some people come over between now and then and hopefully she will get used to it, though if she continues to do it, we will just deal with it.

barely above my mother, ha!

I snort laughed at that thank you!!:D

Pretty normal she should get used to it if it is a somewhat regular occurrence. Better that she is trying to join in the fun than flapping and freaking out.

LOL, glad it made you laugh. It was a very true statement, however haha!:rolleyes:

Yes, she seemed ok, not too freaked out. She didn't really want anyone touching her or messing with her, which was understandable as they were all strangers. She was content to sit in her cage and just holler and talk above everyone else.

My eclectus competes with the vacuum, blow dryer and guitar :p

When I had a female she was always first to start and she sounded like she was singing along to the guitar.

Mine (similar age) behaved the same way until she'd been present at 5 or 6 social gatherings. Now she acts the same as normal usually, thought she might squawk once or twice in the hope that that will result in her being let out of her cage and becoming the center of attention LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back