Walter struck again :-(

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
All my husband had to do today is walk by my son holding Walter, and he proceeded to jump onto his neck and bite him ruthlessly. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with him. There was no warning at all. This doesn't seem normal behavior to me. With all my birds, there are warnings signs. With Walter? Not so much.

d2page2

Feb 15, 2012
California
Parrots
Mina GCC, George and Mimi eckies.
My GCC does that to my youngest daughter. One day she started screaming and I ran to her to find her diving through the dog door to get away. He flushed at her for no reason at all. I dont understand why she has never done anything to deserve his vengeance. I wish your husband luck. I have had Mina for 4 years and he wont let up on her.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
It can sometime be something the parrot sees, but you do not. Moving closer, moving further away, moving your arms too fast or your head in the wrong direction can all set a parrot off.
It could also be that the parrot had a bad experience with your son, and now dislikes him.

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
That's what's so unsettling. We're always going to believe that at any given moment Walter is going to attack us for whatever reason. With me it was when I extended my hand slowly towards him so he could hop onto it. With my husband it was when he walked by my son.

My son can flip him all over the place with ease with lots of sudden movements and he eats it up.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Well, he loves your son and the rest of you are considered a threat to his relationship with his favorite human.

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Except that my son wasn't around when he attacked me :-(

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Who can read a birdie's mind? Dominic was exactly like this with me and would break his neck running to bite me. I've worked and worked with him to the extent that he no longer does that and rarely bites, but when he does, it's just as vicious as ever! My poor daughter, who is nineteen and loves Dommie to bits is now the object of his loathing. She only has to walk by and he fluffs up his feathers, raises his hat and galvanises into action, waddling with all the intent of a five-star general toward The Enemy. He has never managed to connect with Ellie, but I wouldn't want to be her if he did: he has a lovely way of chomping and twisting to provide max hurt with min effort! We've often wondered whether it's Ellie's hair (which is very long and very red) that sets him off, but really we have no idea. :(

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Yellow-sided GCC - Cuzco | Cin. pearl pied tiel - Tilli
I know that this is just how bird can be...

but have you taken him to a vet lately? I've heard of other animals becoming absurdly aggressive as part of a type of seizure. Health problems can make an otherwise great and friendly animal lash out suddenly.

That's so discouraging. Maybe he really is just playing favorites and getting pissy with other people. I hope you can get it under control!! :C

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'm wondering if he was trained improperly before which leads to the aggressive attacks.

Mekaisto could be right though about anything a bird notices that we don't. Birds pay attention to detail, even the slightest amount of it, where-as humans can overlook it. Moving too fast even if it's at a normal pace for you, something shiny giving off a reflection making light appear where it shouldn't, leaves rustling outside or something else entirely.

Have you tried any target or clicker training with him???

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I think Monica has hit the nail on the head! Clicker training (or any training) will give him something to think about and will broaden his horizons. If need be, when he threatens aggression, you could distract him by asking him to perform a trick. Distraction is the key, I reckon: do it often enough and the bird will forget about the undesired behaviour and eventually learn a newer, more desirable one. I distracted Dommie with food treats and he seems to have forgotten that he hates me quite that badly. (Touch wood!)

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Your poor husband! My gawwwd...BAD Walter!

And such a cute name for the little stinker...darnit anyway.

I'm thinking, for the time being, when hubby is home or coming home Walter needs to be in his cage, period. And hubby is going to have to work with him from the cage to start. That way hubby is safe and won't get bitten. At least, that's what I'd do.

I've never done clicker training personally...but I understand the concept and I think for your husband and Walter...this could be the "ticket" to building their relationship.

I'm a strong believer in "not engaging in bad behavior" And also avoiding and redirecting it when at all possible. Which is why I suggest, when your hubby is going to be around, Walter has to go in his cage so that he can't indulge in his "bad behavior"

Hopefully Hubby can then redirect that negative/bad behavior through clicker training.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Toni

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
While it could be a number of reasons, the first thought that came to my mind was the caique personality in general. Sometimes they just don't like a certain person. at work I was told to take a caique to the boarding area. He was sitting happily and waiting to be picked up. As soon as I approached he attacked my hand and bit until he drew blood. When my boss took the caique back, it was as if he had never bit me, he was instantly calm and happy again. The bird just didn't like me. Another caique ran across the floor to bite another employee and was hanging off his leg. Caiques are still great birds, but they are very feisty and quick to react. I think the suggestions offered in the previous post, along with paying close attention to body language, will go a long way in helping you guys get along :)

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
That's what's been so unsettling for us. My husband completely avoids him, and, unfortunately, I'm still afraid of him. My kids take him out and play with him every day. However, every single time he suddenly jumps on me, my heart leaps out of my chest as I wait for another potential bite. So far there haven't been any more, but that's because I don't handle him. I talk to him all the time, but can't get up the nerve to get him out of the cage. If and when I do, it's only when someone else is present in case I need someone to help unwrap him from one of my body parts.

I really want to get past this fear. I've been nipped and bit quite a lot by my other 6 birds. However, nothing quite compares to a caique attack. It's ruthless.

Most Reactions

Latest posts