Wanting to make a grain chop mix

Poppi

Feb 4, 2015
Georgia
Parrots
Sun conure named Squeak
Blue crown conure
Hi! The bird store near me makes up a fresh chop and also makes a fresh grain chop. Poppi loves the grain chop so I want to try making some but don't know where to start. The store is not really close plus I am sure will be cheaper for me to make especially when you add in gas money.

OP
P

Poppi

Feb 4, 2015
Georgia
Parrots
Sun conure named Squeak
Blue crown conure
Thought I would ad a pic. Hard to tell except for the sweet potato since it looks like same colors. I think I see lentils but not sure if any other beans. 20150622_080433.jpg

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
My grocery store sells a 16 bean mix (just make sure to soak overnight). Lentils, flax seed, chia seed, oatmeal...all good.

I added finely chopped peppers, carrots, and kale to get some veggies snuck past him as well (tho he mostly picks around them)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Here's a few grains that go well in chop mixes.

Buckwheat groats
Quinoa
Kamut
Brown rice
Spelt
Hulled barley
Amaranth
Wheat berries
Couscous

OP
P

Poppi

Feb 4, 2015
Georgia
Parrots
Sun conure named Squeak
Blue crown conure
Looks like it doesn't have many beans. I bought an organic wild rice with vegetables and some barley this morning. I'm going to whole foods later this week and see what I can find there.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I usually use one of the grains for a base and add cooked beans and fresh chopped vegetables and fruit.

OP
P

Poppi

Feb 4, 2015
Georgia
Parrots
Sun conure named Squeak
Blue crown conure
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I usually use one of the grains for a base and add cooked beans and fresh chopped vegetables and fruit.

Oh, I meant that the bird store doesn't seem to have many beans. I get that your list was a base. It was really helpful to give me ideas for other things I can add grain wise because what they make is mainly grains.
I think I might have to rethink the all grain and just go with a mix like yours. She is starting to do better when I mix the 2 types together.
Thank you so much for the help. Totally new to making chops and feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
It's easy, you'll get the hang of it before you know it. Most parrots like brown rice, quinoa, and spelt. As Weezerj said, parrots will sort their chop and avoid the veggies if they can. A lot of parrots prefer their vegetables diced in small pieces. You can also sauté the mix in a little coconut oil before serving.

Most Reactions

Latest posts