water time

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Im sure this has been asked before. But i think i should be giving Harlow my Macaw more showers than I do.I was wondering what everyone else does with their Macaws and what would be too much[does it eventually hurt their skin or feathers?] I spray Harlow down. I tried a shallow bath in the bathtub once .As I was leaning over the tub with her and lowering her down she climbed up my arm and eventually was stradling my neck with her head over mine looking down to the water too. [Im sure she thought ,ya right LOL]

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
davescamera145_zpsbefbfd19.jpg

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
She is so beautiful! Love her colours!

I don't think there's such a thing for too much showers for a parrot, it won't do any harm to their skin or feathers unless you soak them in the water for 4 hours! (Just kidding! I know you won't do that!) lol! :D :p

During the summer, I give Ozzie (my alex) about 5 showers each week. And of cause, a little less in winter, probably like 3 a week. It kind of also depends on your parrot, some birds loves water while others don't. But 1 the minimum for any parrot during summer to keep their skin and feathers healthy.

Most of the time, I just spray Ozzie with a bottle, and also I put him in the sink so he can play. And I sometime also shower with him :) But I think Ozzie prefers to be in the sink, becuase then he can play while having a bath! :D Not very sure if a large macaw will fit in the sink though....lol! :D

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Mine get the misting bottle more than showers, but they do love showers as well. ReaRea will give signals she wants a bath as well such as running across the floor if you're in there or hears water running

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango HATES being sprayed! He tells me right off whenever I try, but I still try once in a while with the bird rain. He will sometimes try to bath himself in his water dish, so I offer him a big warm dish of water when I catch him at it and he goes to town. I shower with my guys every day. It use to just be Mango, but now I have to balance between two birds. Sometimes they like to get super wet, and sometimes they stay out of the water and go for a gentle misting. They see to do really well though, their feathers are beautiful and their pin feathers are nice and soft.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Mine get the misting bottle more than showers, but they do love showers as well. ReaRea will give signals she wants a bath as well such as running across the floor if you're in there or hears water running
Cute I can just imagine them come a runnin Lol :) Love Greenwings maybe my next bird

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
Wow, Just Beautiful. Spencer, during the hot months 2-3x per month. I put him in the shower or on the shower and softly spray up from the showerhead at him until he gets used to it, then he's loving the full spray. In the colder months I don't force him, maybe every month to six weeks.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
You can over shower your birds. You don't want to completely remove all the natural oils all the time by over showering them. Our Grey has a lot of dander so we mist her everyday, but give her a full shower about once every week.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Cute I can just imagine them come a runnin Lol

It's pretty funny, can't tell you how many times ReaRea has walked into the master bath when the wife was in there and starts tapping on the shower door to be let in. :D

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Does anyone use a Humidifer?

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I would have loved to see a pic
Perhaps she was waiting for you to climb in
00020687.gif
I had to tell that story. My daughter was next to me helping me, As Harlow and us were all looking down to the water [and I realized this wasnt working] Harlow turned to my daughter [ and in a very high pitched voice she said HI!!!! ] That was the first time we had ever heard a word from her LOL:)

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
Cute I can just imagine them come a runnin Lol

It's pretty funny, can't tell you how many times ReaRea has walked into the master bath when the wife was in there and starts tapping on the shower door to be let in. :D

That is too funny...I'd love to see that!

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
My macaw doesn't seem to like getting sprayed. So I use it as a punishment when he's being naughty.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My B&G used to get sprayed with a mister, but when I got Ripley, the GW, he wanted NOTHING to do with any sprayers, so I built a shower perch and shower with them once a week now. They both like it. :)

I would NEVER punish a bird by spraying them with water. :mad: There are MUCH more effective means, i.e. a 2-5 minute time-out works wonders.

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
My B&G used to get sprayed with a mister, but when I got Ripley, the GW, he wanted NOTHING to do with any sprayers, so I built a shower perch and shower with them once a week now. They both like it. :)

I would NEVER punish a bird by spraying them with water. :mad: There are MUCH more effective means, i.e. a 2-5 minute time-out works wonders.

I agree with what your saying but my macaw seems to hate getting wet in any form. But I'm told he needs to be sprayed once a week for the good of his health. So rather than get him upset with me when he's being nice I thought it would make more sence to get his shower out of the way when he's being naughty.

If you have any more suggestions with how to give him a shower without upsetting him then I would be greatfull.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots

I agree with what your saying but my macaw seems to hate getting wet in any form. But I'm told he needs to be sprayed once a week for the good of his health. So rather than get him upset with me when he's being nice I thought it would make more sence to get his shower out of the way when he's being naughty.

If you have any more suggestions with how to give him a shower without upsetting him then I would be greatfull.
Its very important for them to have baths [please figure this out ] Hes not going to be able to take care of this himself in his water dish:)

Jennd5184

Feb 28, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Tiki
When we first got Tiki, she hated getting a shower. She would flip out, and I had a ton of battle marks. I read somewhere about turning on the shower and pointing the water towards the wall, and let them be in the bottom of the shower, just to get used to the water. After doing that a couple times, she would let me move her into the stream. Now, it's been a month and while she still doesn't love to take a shower, she tolerates it. They just have to get used to it. I don't think she had ever had a shower and she was 8 months old. Her feathers were in terrible shape and she needed to be cleaned very badly. I didn't want her to think of it as a negative experience, but now she tolerates me giving her one, and is so calm afterwards.

Most Reactions