Weaning Schedule and Diet chart for Conures.

Akramkhan346

Jan 10, 2022
Media
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Pair of green cheek conure - GCC
Hey people,

I have tried to make a diet chart for my pair of conure (Fluffy and Coco). Please look and it and your valuable comments are needed. Pippentiel &Tikitiel I am seeking your support if the chart is ok or not? I have prepared the chart after reading your thread very carefully.

So far everything is going as per the schedule one-time meal (Lunch) they are eating themself and for breakfast and dinner, they are taking A21 feed 10 ml to 15 ml. Since the vegetables are good for them so I am trying to feed them vegetables many times a week so far they are giving a good response. Everyone, please advise if I am wrong anywhere because I want to give them the best & healthy life with a great environment as much as possible.

Attachments

• Weaning Schedule.JPG
    Weaning Schedule.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Diet Schedule.JPG
    Diet Schedule.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 513

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hey people,

I have tried to make a diet chart for my pair of conure (Fluffy and Coco). Please look and it and your valuable comments are needed. Pippentiel &Tikitiel I am seeking your support if the chart is ok or not? I have prepared the chart after reading your thread very carefully.

So far everything is going as per the schedule one-time meal (Lunch) they are eating themself and for breakfast and dinner, they are taking A21 feed 10 ml to 15 ml. Since the vegetables are good for them so I am trying to feed them vegetables many times a week so far they are giving a good response. Everyone, please advise if I am wrong anywhere because I want to give them the best & healthy life with a great environment as much as possible.
Oh man i feel flushed that you asked for my advice..
Im afraid i cant help you much
I would make the fruits much less the that maybe 2-3 times a week and mix them with the a bunch of veggies
And giving a low amount of dates because dates are extremely high in sugar
Also how much sleep do they get?
11-12 hours of sleep are needed if you dont want a cranky birb
I would also lower the seeds to only one day or make them only for training
Do the birds seem to be weaning themselves?
Like are they losing intrest in the formula themselves or are they forced of it?
It just seems if you are putting specific dates that you are force weaning..
Force weaning cab lead to many issues like screaming and not eating much
Im not saying that you are
Just making sure for the safety of the birbies

OP
Akramkhan346

Akramkhan346

Jan 10, 2022
Media
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Hey, I asked you because you look more active, and looking at your response on other posts looks you are more experienced at least than me. Because I am a newbie :).

I will work on your advice and will make the necessary modifications for seeds & fruits. Cumulatively they sleep for good 12 hours.

They themselves are weaning and they are losing interest in feed (A21) at a very high speed. I have specified the date just for reference but, as per the current situation, I assume they will be fully weaned before the expected date.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hey, I asked you because you look more active, and looking at your response on other posts looks you are more experienced at least than me. Because I am a newbie :).

I will work on your advice and will make the necessary modifications for seeds & fruits. Cumulatively they sleep for good 12 hours.

They themselves are weaning and they are losing interest in feed (A21) at a very high speed. I have specified the date just for reference but, as per the current situation, I assume they will be fully weaned before the expected date.
Ok that seems excellent!
Have you prepared a cage?
I would love to see the set-up :)

OP
Akramkhan346

Akramkhan346

Jan 10, 2022
Media
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
Yes, I bought the cage and a couple of toys will share the pic once back home.

But they are not showing interest in a cage also I don't prefer to keep them in a cage so most of the time they spend time roaming in the entire room and playing with my wife and for sleeping, I bought a small box from the pet shop where they go automatically once they are done with dinner.

For the cage, I have installed all the purge inside out where they play in the daytime. Once, they grow up I am planning to teach them to sleep only in a cage if I have to because now they sleep on the sofa also. They share a great bond with my wife especially.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Weaning is a very important time for young at the appropriate age, and so far I would say your regime looks pretty good. The only thing I would add is putting more emphasis on the use of dry seed. I have bred a variety of parrots over the years, including Conures, and I believe dry seeds should be made available all the time. Feeding out dry seeds greatly supports feeding skills such as removing the husks (beak and foot coordination), and also reduces the risk of scours if the diet is too rich and moist. But, with this being said, this largely depends on the types of dry seeds you use. Millet varieties such as White French millet, red pannicum, yellow pannicum and Jap Millet are excellent sources of dry seeds which are low in fat to retain healthy body condition, and provide an excellent base for any diet. Fatty seeds such as sunflower and safflower should be provided in monitored amounts as well. The weaning and eventual moulting process is a stressful time for any young parrot, which is why body condition should have very significant attention put towards it. A small handful of sunflower/safflower seeds (make sure to use grey stripe sunflower, the black sunflower is incredibly fatty) should be enough to sustain 2 birds over a week and is added and fed separately. If body condition drops, add a little bit more sunflower. Once the birds are fully independent and have matured, cut back the sunflower to only a couple of seeds as a treat.
In regards to fruit, all birds really only need a little slice of apple or something easy to eat like banana while weaning. Feed veggies along with the fruit as plain fruit in a meal will give them a sugar crash without prolonged energy release which vegetables provide

D

Deleted member 42416

Ok. I need help. I will try the seeds now. My conure TEENAGERS are still on formula only and initially showed some promise with the pellets last week, but apparently that was a fleeting fancy. Same with chop. They did chew on some Romaine lettuce this week, not sure how much they ingested. They are disabled so I would expect a longer weaning process. I have even taken them on a culinary tour…having them watch their parents eat. No go. Pellet paste. Spit it out. I’ll just keep at it until they are ready. I really did not want to go to seeds first, but this may be the impetus required. Thank you for the info!

For reference, their hatch dates are 11/1/21 and 11/5/21.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Ok. I need help. I will try the seeds now. My conure TEENAGERS are still on formula only and initially showed some promise with the pellets last week, but apparently that was a fleeting fancy. Same with chop. They did chew on some Romaine lettuce this week, not sure how much they ingested. They are disabled so I would expect a longer weaning process. I have even taken them on a culinary tour…having them watch their parents eat. No go. Pellet paste. Spit it out. I’ll just keep at it until they are ready. I really did not want to go to seeds first, but this may be the impetus required. Thank you for the info!

For reference, their hatch dates are 11/1/21 and 11/5/21

Wow!! Sounds like you have some very subborn teenagers! The key with birds like that is to find some palatable to the birds liking, Soft foods such as banana, steamed carrots and peas that are mushed up a bit are excellent starters, and even sunflower seeds taken out the the husk and broken up into small pieces might be enough to tempt them into trying more solid foods. It is really about them understanding “If I break into this fruit/nut etc. there is something tasty inside”.
Pellets can soaked in a dish of water too for them to start the process of eating them.
Cut back on formula during a day and carefully monitor and offer different palatable foods, and even when you do provide formula, place it in a dish rather than hand feeding it, they have to get used to not having food handed to them!

D

Deleted member 42416

Wow!! Sounds like you have some very subborn teenagers! The key with birds like that is to find some palatable to the birds liking, Soft foods such as banana, steamed carrots and peas that are mushed up a bit are excellent starters, and even sunflower seeds taken out the the husk and broken up into small pieces might be enough to tempt them into trying more solid foods. It is really about them understanding “If I break into this fruit/nut etc. there is something tasty inside”.
Pellets can soaked in a dish of water too for them to start the process of eating them.
Cut back on formula during a day and carefully monitor and offer different palatable foods, and even when you do provide formula, place it in a dish rather than hand feeding it, they have to get used to not having food handed to them!
I am really nervous about backing off the formula. They have rotational leg issues so cannot perch or balance on one leg. I think the mashed banana and peas sounds like a good way to start, then mixed with softened pellets over time. I’ll also sprinkle some of the dehusked sunflower seeds too….thank you so much for these suggestions!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
HI! I only saw this now! The diet look alright! I'd just recommend lowering the amount of fruit :) and for the cage, I'd recommend adding more toys and perches :D

OP
Akramkhan346

Akramkhan346

Jan 10, 2022
Media
Saudi Arabia
Parrots

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-02 at 9.48.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-02 at 9.48.36 PM.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 59