weird drooling?

Perezaris

Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Parrots
Quaker parrot named Tito
my quaker is making some strange noise and he puffs up and make some time of saliva. I don’t know if this some breeding behavior or something like that. This is something he has never done before. I don’t know if should take him to the vet because he seems just fine, this happens when i go pet him.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Can you get video of this behavior to share with us? That might give some hints as to what's going on. I think I would opt for a visit with an avian vet all the same.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Burds don't have saliva. So either regurgitation, or vomiting.

Regurgitation can be a behavior thing they do for you. But I don't like hearing puffed up.

Since birds hide being sick, anything that seems off should get checked out.

Also a very very good idea to have a digital kitchen scale set to grams. And weigh abd log weights weekly. Burds will usually pose weight when sick, and catching issues early this way can save their lives. As treatment is easily and tgey respond and bounce back. By the time you have classic sick bird symptoms things are usually dire, if not out right life and death.

This covers a lot of burd behavior
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Incase you need this , tips for nursing your sick bird. Warmth, abd providing tempting foods.
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds can have a slightly wet tongue/wetness near the back of their mouths, even if not regurgitating, but anything visible or dripping should be investigated medically- do not assume it is fine without further investigation though. Despite popular beliefs, many do have some saliva (but FAR, FAR, FAR LESS than humans or other mammals) but it shouldn't be wet like a humans or ever dripping (unless sick or regurgitating).

Strange noises and puffing can also be huge red-flags for illness when combined with what you are describing.

DROOLING=DANGER - https://www.allaboutparrots.com/parrot-drooling/ (unless it is hormonal--and that would not look like drool. Also, hormones can have dangerous consequences to health if proper mitigation is not followed).

Last edited:
May 30, 2021
Australia
Parrots
Quakers & Cockatiels.
Have looked after nearly all species of parrots
I'm sure you already worked it out!
But for anyone else wondering, this is what some Quakers do when they are masturbating (I've only seen males drool so far)

First you will hear a weird noise that you haven't really heard before; either a muted, repetitive giggle or a 'shhh, shhh, shhh' scratching noise (like someone colouring in with pencils).
After locating the source of the noise, you'll find a Quaker with a wide stance who has morphed into a puffball, all the feathers on their rump will be erect, and their beak will be slightly open with drops of saliva slowly dripping off their tongue.
They won't necessarily be actively humping something.

It is quite a sight and is nothing more than a sign of a happy, healthy Quaker.

Most Reactions

Latest posts