Weird tail feather growth

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 pineapple green cheek conure
my conure has been having some weird feather growth since i got him, his feathers have been growing kinda crooked and one of his blood feathers broke at the base but didn't bleed and kept growing. the part that broke fell off and the rest of the feather grew to normal size. im not sure if this is normal or what. he also has a blood feather right now that seems to be really sensitive and hasn't grown or changed at all for the past week. it is crooked and i think it's broken but there is no blood and i don't want to accidentally hurt him trying to check. i want to take him to the vet but i don't think my mom will let me unless i can make her realize that we need to. he is barely a year old and i want to do anything i can to help him. he is on a seed and pellet diet atm but im getting him onto a chop diet. im not sure if the problem is just malnutrition or if it is something else.

edit: ill try to get some pics of the feather in the morning, he is asleep rn

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
my conure has been having some weird feather growth since i got him, his feathers have been growing kinda crooked and one of his blood feathers broke at the base but didn't bleed and kept growing. the part that broke fell off and the rest of the feather grew to normal size. im not sure if this is normal or what. he also has a blood feather right now that seems to be really sensitive and hasn't grown or changed at all for the past week. it is crooked and i think it's broken but there is no blood and i don't want to accidentally hurt him trying to check. i want to take him to the vet but i don't think my mom will let me unless i can make her realize that we need to. he is barely a year old and i want to do anything i can to help him. he is on a seed and pellet diet atm but im getting him onto a chop diet. im not sure if the problem is just malnutrition or if it is something else.

edit: ill try to get some pics of the feather in the morning, he is asleep rn
Sounds somewhat concerning, a pic would def help though

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Young Companion Parrots and Tail Feathers have been a long and known problem as the tail feathers, whether old, middle age and new come in contact with near everything and they become broken or damaged is a reality. Within another year or two, your young Parrot will be more aware of the location of their tail feathers and you will see much less tail feather issues.

Sorry for jumping on your Post zERo, as we where likely Posting at the same time.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts