Were her wings clipped too short?

Sharon1994

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
I have one cockatiel named Bo. He is a 3 year old male.
Recently, my mother in law got a cockatiel couple. Both birds were clipped when she bought them. The male immediately was able to fly for a bit however the female is not able to fly till this day (about 2 months after getting the birds). The former owner told us her wings will grow back. However I am wondering how long this will take and hope the wings were not cut too short. The attached picture is from the current situation.

Could anyone please share some knowledge about this with me?

Sharon

Attachments

• IMG-20230702-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230702-WA0009.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 56

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
WOW those are short. WHen clipping wings, the idea is to leave enough so the parrot can glide to the ground, not fall like a stone, which is dangerous. Unfortunately, feathers once clipped dont grow more, like a plant would. You have to wait until they are molted out and new feathers will take their place. Could take a few months for this to start happening.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Recently, my mother in law got a cockatiel couple. Both birds were clipped when she bought them. The male immediately was able to fly for a bit however the female is not able to fly till this day (about 2 months after getting the birds). The former owner told us her wings will grow back. However I am wondering how long this will take and hope the wings were not cut too short. The attached picture is from the current situation.

Could anyone please share some knowledge about this with me?

Sharon
How old is that bird? The feathers will grow back in the next moult, which should happen around the 8 or 9 months of mark. A skilled avian vet can perform a procedure called “imping” where donor feathers are implanted to replace the clipped ones, one of my flock had it done not long ago and flight is restored immediately. Just how well she flies will depend however on whether she learned to fly before those wings were clipped. Not every vet performs imping, it's not cheap but not really hideously expensive either, and well worth considering in my opinion. Perhaps you can find a vet who can perform it from the list in the link below ...

Wishing you all the best :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
WOW those are short. WHen clipping wings, the idea is to leave enough so the parrot can glide to the ground, not fall like a stone, which is dangerous. Unfortunately, feathers once clipped dont grow more, like a plant would. You have to wait until they are molted out and new feathers will take their place. Could take a few months for this to start happening.
Sad that they got way carried away. I hope the molt is soon and she can fly again. Give her lots of love and attention while you both wait.

Most Reactions

Latest posts