What are the most reputable?

I think you'll find there's no difference personality wise with males versus females.

I think you'll find there's no difference personality wise with males versus females.

Really? Because all I've read on here lately has been about horny hormonal boys lol!

Really? Because all I've read on here lately has been about horny hormonal boys lol!

THAT WOULD BE THE AMAZONS!!!

MALE AMAZONS AND FEMALE ECKIES... With those two it makes a difference.

With macaws what makes a difference is the amount of attention and socialization they are given. The more they get handled, the mushier they become...

Huh, good to know. I was worried I would end up with a fluffball of hormonal grouchiness. My male green cheek has been getting testy lately and it's not fun to deal with. That makes me feel better to know it doesn't affect macs. Karen, have you ever had that happen with Zoe or another large species female bird? Has anyone around here had that happen with a macaw?

7 to 12 are the tough hormonal years for a macaw.

And you can't go wrong with a greenwing. They're one of my all time favorites too...obviously!!!

Ok so it's a done deal, the local guy just sold his last ready baby and I was free to make another choice. I called M & D and asked if they had any already DNA sexed green wings and by some stroke of luck they had just confirmed a female and no others had been sexed yet. So they're holding her for me until tomorrow when I go to the bank and then after I place my order they'll be shipping her on Wednesday of this coming week!!! I'm so excited and nervous I'm half sick to my stomach right now. After all these months of planning it's happening so quick I'm reeling from shock and excitement. Now we have to hurry up and finish the last little bit of the enclosure work fast. I thought we would have a few weeks of waiting, turns out it's only three days if all goes according to plan, whoa. I guess I won't be on here much the next few days. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it :)

:eek: Holy blizzard that happened fast!

Tell us more...do you have pictures that M&D shared with you, or is this all by word of mouth? How old is your new baby??? Fully weaned, right?

Wow that DID happen fast! I've heard good things about M&D, and some members here got beautiful birds from them.

Her hatch date is 5-28-14 so she's around 8 months old and fully weaned. They've promised to send me photos later on tonight when they get time. So excited :)

Got my photos, here's my girl, does she look ok and healthy to you guys/girls? I know it's hard to tell from a photo, but what do you think, does she look right to you?

9096f109-e316-44e3-8e90-0c99c1f386e0_zpssoqhfrn9.jpg

95777c57-c4bb-42ae-8ae2-f4ce45d0be5d_zpshbmz3imt.jpg

Last edited:
She looks healthy, and happy, and has that gleam in her eyes...

Yes, she looks bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to me, too. :D You must be so over the moon!!

Does she come with a health guarantee? If so, how long do you have to have her vetted?

AWW shes lovely!! Congrats!!!! She seems like a very happy bird from those pictures!

Yes, she looks bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to me, too. :D You must be so over the moon!!

Does she come with a health guarantee? If so, how long do you have to have her vetted?

They offer a three year health guarantee which reads as follows:

3 Year Health Guarantee

I built my own enclosure, so I have to ask about that tonight when I pay for her/the food by phone. It looks like she has to go to the vet once a year during that time which is common sense anyway. Her beak will have to be groomed and she needs a health check.

I just pm-ed you about M&D. lol!
Great experience with them! So disregard that pm. ;)

Congrats on the new addition! she's beautiful!

Thanks Marybeth, I fell in love with the place vicariously through you and Maverick as well as another macaw I saw someone else from this forum bought from there. The birds were gorgeous! They looked so happy, healthy, and friendly. It would have been an easy call but my husband wanted some place closer we could drive to. Now that his idea fell through, I get to order from there. But I really enjoyed looking through all the places people told me about here on this thread. No one had exactly what I was looking for but M & D unfortunately, but I sure appreciated all the suggestions! I now have several good references for my next flock member saved on my computer. If this one works out well we may get either a blue throat or blue and gold as a companion for this one after a year or so depending on circumstances and how we do with this one.

Incidentally, a guy my husband works with just brought home a green wing from that local aviary. They really loved it and said it was a picture of health so I guess my worries were unfounded. And then today he called me and said his friend's baby got confused in the house while flying and flew into a mirror. It died literally a day or so after they brought it home-the poor baby broke it's neck! Has anyone around here had that happen? I'm heading to buy curtains tonight because I'm afraid it'll try to fly into one of my big windows we leave bare for sunlight and the view. No view is worth that!

Just curious why she would need beak grooming. A normal healthy mac shouldn't need that. Zoe has to have it done because she has a slight scissor beak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back