what are the toxic and safe woods to use for birds?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
And another q how do i clean/disinfect the branches naturally?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Aspen, Hawthorn, Manzanita (sp?) and Dragonwood are all safe. Hawthorn even has edible berries on it! As for cleaning naturally, some vinegar or dish soap does wonders :)

I believe most toxic woods are fruit woods, like cherry and apple. Not 100% sure about that. Pine isn't toxic, but the sap gets all over the place and on the birds and is a Pain to remove.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Thanks for the info, is birch wood safe?

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Well that's good bec beside our house are many birchwood trees!!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Aspen, Hawthorn, Manzanita (sp?) and Dragonwood are all safe. Hawthorn even has edible berries on it! As for cleaning naturally, some vinegar or dish soap does wonders :)
If you use dish soap you need to disinfect it really well afterwards.
Vinegar is ok but kills only 80%+/- of bacteria. Better than nothing though. You can also use your oven and/or leave it in the sun for a few days, bringing it inside during night/raining of course.
I believe most toxic woods are fruit woods, like cherry and apple. Not 100% sure about that. Pine isn't toxic, but the sap gets all over the place and on the birds and is a Pain to remove.
Apple wood is actually safe according to most sites, cherry wood is still debated though.

And another q how do i clean/disinfect the branches naturally?
Here is a link of bird-safe wood :)

As for disinfecting, clean it with some vinegar and/or bake it and/or leave it in the sun. You can also boil the wood to kill certain bacteria.

Last edited:
OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Thanks for all the info!!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Birch is safe, pine is safe, oak is safe, fruit trees are safe. Some of the problems encountered with fruit wood was likely caused by pesticide applications to the live trees. If you wash and bake or bleach your tree limbs that will remove most of it.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Birch is safe, pine is safe, oak is safe, fruit trees are safe. Some of the problems encountered with fruit wood was likely caused by pesticide applications to the live trees. If you wash and bake or bleach your tree limbs that will remove most of it.
I thought oak is toxic..

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I will look it up but I don’t think it is toxic.

I see some people are saying oak is toxic because it contains tannins. But, the bird is not going to consume the oak. Tea also contains tannins as does wine and grape juice and many other things.

I have used oak perches for my birds and I’m ok with it. I guess you can decide what you like. I would not use something like yew or mistletoe, or an euphorbia species, sumac, hemlock; but I am fine with oak. Birdsafe.com says to remove the bark, presumably because a bird might ingest it. But I think birds/ parrots normally eat lots of plant matter that contains tannins. Imagine drinking water from a puddle filled with decomposing leaves, or water from a crevice in a treetrunk. That would contain tannins. The flavonoid that make tea and wine anti inflammatory (and healthy) in fact could be classified as tannins.

Www. Birdsafe.com/woods.htm is the reference I used to check safe woods. That reference does admit that some people have concerns about use of oak wood in bird accessories.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts