What are your Eclectus’ favorite toys?

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
I want to go on a toy buying spree but not exactly sure which ones to experiment with. He likes bells and straw toys but doesn’t seem too interested in chewing them really. (I know ekkies usually like softer wood but he doesn’t go crazy on them just occasionally nibbles) He likes ringing his bells but it seems like he does it more out of frustration than fun. He likes his spiral perch and bouncing up and down on it but most of the time he’s disinterested. He ends up breaking all his forage toys and forages “incorrectly”. Maybe mine is just not a toy bird but worried i’m just buying the wrong kinds? Any suggestions would be appreciated !! <3 (or maybe i’m comparing his play style to my conure which is much much more crazy and aggressive)

Last edited:

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I want to go on a toy buying spree but not exactly sure which ones to experiment with. He likes bells and straw toys but doesn’t seem too interested in chewing them really. (I know ekkies usually like softer wood but he doesn’t go crazy on them just occasionally nibbles) He likes ringing his bells but it seems like he does it more out of frustration than fun. He likes his spiral perch and bouncing up and down on it but most of the time he’s disinterested. He ends up breaking all his forage toys and forages “incorrectly”. Maybe mine is just not a toy bird but worried i’m just buying the wrong kinds? Any suggestions would be appreciated !! <3 (or maybe i’m comparing his play style to my conure which is much much more crazy and aggressive)
Mine loves his boing spring perch, he swings around on a lot too. Lots of hanging bamboo rope toys keep him entertained.
For actual toys, I would say it’s a few-a cactus kebab. Slices of dried cactus on a rope he can shred and a bell in a acrylic tube.he also likes to chase hard balls in his cage (plastic bowling ball and golf ball) .. so ones is messy and the others noisy lol

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Mine loves his boing spring perch, he swings around on a lot too. Lots of hanging bamboo rope toys keep him entertained.
For actual toys, I would say it’s a few-a cactus kebab. Slices of dried cactus on a rope he can shred and a bell in a acrylic tube.he also likes to chase hard balls in his cage (plastic bowling ball and golf ball) .. so ones is messy and the others noisy lol
Was your ekkie always playful like that? Maybe I just need to teach mine how to play. I haven’t thought of a dried cactus kebab thanks!!

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Was your ekkie always playful like that? Maybe I just need to teach mine how to play. I haven’t thought of a dried cactus kebab thanks!!
Hi, yes he has been like it all his life. He is still young. We started with just one dangling hemp rope with a weight on the end, for a few weeks, He loved climbing and spinning on it. Then we introduced a climbing net.. Now he has the rope, a boing, a rope swing and a hanging bamboo thing. We move them around his cage every couple of weeks.
A foraging ball is a good way to introduce toys and foraging together. I put whole amaranth & millet sprays in mine leaving the stalk poking out or flowers etc. The cactus Kebab or kabob first came from my local store, I’ve just got another from eBay. When he sits on my arm I give him a straw or a lolly stick to chew. Thin and easy to break. He loses interest if it’s too hard. I buy repeats of pine or beech lolly sticks and kabobs. He’s at his happiest just bouncing around lol

Attachments

• 07E91644-8B56-4550-80DB-5E7925B21DBD.jpeg
    07E91644-8B56-4550-80DB-5E7925B21DBD.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 58
  • E0E07F80-625C-4F58-A270-1A2C36A4D4E6.jpeg
    E0E07F80-625C-4F58-A270-1A2C36A4D4E6.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 0D4FA987-EB3C-4663-B60A-5B2559D86021.jpeg
    0D4FA987-EB3C-4663-B60A-5B2559D86021.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Absolutely, my guy loves the kabob things. They become an empty string in no time flat. He really loves ones like this:
1662070997809.png

He goes after the wooden beads and usually pops every single one off in the first day or so, then the wood pieces and some of them have the plastic practice golf balls on them which last him a while, but he destroys them too.
He loves his boing, and also has a rope ring at the top of the cage that he chooses to sleep on every night. Unlike my amazon, he has absolutely zero interest in chewing on the rope perches.

Most Reactions

Latest posts