What bird do you think will suit me?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I’ve been thinking of owning a new species of bird for a while now,
Iv’e owned a cockatiel and a sun conure, I’m thinking of another conure species or maybe a cauiqe or a sennie

What species would you think suit me?
Of course it will be a while before getting a new bird..

Noise isn’t a problem at all
I actually enjoy it some times..

I don’t think Space will be a problem, even tho we live in an apartment now we are planning to move to a house (in a 2-4 months) that has lots (I mean LOTS) of space and a huge garden that we plan to make an aviary in

I know it’s different for each individual but I want a bird that’s PLAY PLAY PLAY

I just want a goofy bird that loves interaction but ,this isn’t a must..

I would love a smart bird, of course all birds are smart but I want a bird that can learn a ton of tricks I’ve seen it with parrotlets and sennies

I don’t want a bird thats a literal magnet so GCC is out of the list, I am OK with it to be a bit clingy tho

I’d like a Lifespan of maybe 10-30 years

Mess is also not a problem, I clean
everything and i enjoy it a bit actually:)-

Which of these you think will suit me best?

If none do then what species do?

Senegal
Cauiqe
Any conure (not very clingy)
IRN, alex, etc
Parrotlet
Budgie
Quacker

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
yesterday I saw bloody pictures of fingers bitten by caiques. They aren't for children
I think Zoe could handle it if she wants one. She's had experience with other birds that can bite hard, her brother has an Amazon and a Macaw. And she's not exactly a newbie to parrot keeping.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Her brother lost Tiki too
It isnt the same brother tho-
And i dont know that has to do with being able to tolerate a bite
(Sorry if i sound rude i dont mean to!)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
FYI: on the photos there were fingers and a tissue all in blood. Seriously. Caiques are very unpredictable
Ok but like i didnt say they were predictable or anything like that
I just said what does my losing my bird have to do with my brother and about thinking of a cauiqe?
Imo i find this really offensive my brother did nothing wrong
Mistakes happen

Also please dont turn thie thread into an argument :(
I asked a question if you have an answer then answer it if you dont then dont say anything-

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, Tiki, all birds can be unpredictable, not just caiques. Heck, budgies can have 'psychotic breaks'! I say just o to a place with a lot of birds, and see if one chooses you. It may not be the species you expected, but you'll have a better bond since they chose you!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
One of my dream Species is the golden conure! But this li k mentions clinging
Golden conures are amazing!
I love them so much but i didn’t mention them brcause i know it will literally impossible to find if i do it will be extremely expensive
This is my top dream species
I agree!
Hawk-heads are gorgeous

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Golden conures are amazing!
I love them so much but i didn’t mention them brcause i know it will literally impossible to find if i do it will be extremely expensive

I agree!
Hawk-heads are gorgeous
Its true , less expensive than used to be. When talking about a family member that will be with you 30 years. It can be worth the investment and effort in finding a species that you really want are drawn to.

But there are so many wonderful species, and amazing individuals out there! Enjoy your search, take you time, look up all tge negatives of that species and determine if you could live with thst

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I think i would settle on my dream bird..
A pied whitface cocktiel (male)!
I adore cockatiels in general and the pied cockatiels just steal my heart!
I would love a male but a female would still make me over the moon..
And who knows,
Maybe my parents would allow me to get more then one bird and then i could try a new species!
I’m still gonna think about what other birds that Are good for me but the perfect bird for me (I’ve been thinking about from the first time I knew about bird care)
Are Cockatiels IMO

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
FYI: on the photos there were fingers and a tissue all in blood. Seriously. Caiques are very unpredictable
All birds can be unpredictable. I have a friend who breeds Caiques and most of the people who buy them from her have children. I don't think it's fair to rule out a species of birds because of a random picture.

Zoe, I have no doubt that whatever bird you decide on will be a lucky bird:)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
All birds can be unpredictable. I have a friend who breeds Caiques and most of the people who buy them from her have children. I don't think it's fair to rule out a species of birds because of a random picture.

Zoe, I have no doubt that whatever bird you decide on will be a lucky bird:)
Totally. It's just ONE caique. Any bird that can bite can hurt you. Once bad caique doesn't make them a bad species.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hi!
I really think a Senegal will suit you based on what I've seen from them!
They're very playful, don't make too much noise and also not TOO loud, and they, with patience and consistency just like any other parrot you train, can learn lots of tricks with time!
They're also very loving.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hi!
I really think a Senegal will suit you based on what I've seen from them!
They're very playful, don't make too much noise and also not TOO loud, and they, with patience and consistency just like any other parrot you train, can learn lots of tricks with time!
They're also very loving.
I'd like to add big downside with sennies is their highly unpredictable nature and they bite HARD. Forget caiqes - sennies bite hard.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I've owned four of these species, and from my experience, here's what I have for you. It's all about the individual and like Stormy said, any bird can be very unpredictable.

Budgies: solid choice. But they are very skittish and a LOT of them are not hand-tame and never will be. They can be playful (down to the individual) but are hard to keep track of, and it's very easy for them to get stuck somewhere while flying or playing. And in these kinds of situations, they panic and it's very difficult to get them. I think a budgie would work for you but...yeah.

Parrotlets: they are absolutely wonderful - I'm sure you can tell by the way I talk about Cricket. But they are living blobs of affection and SASS. They are very smart and can learn a lot of tricks, and are not half as skittish as budgies. They aren't goofy, but they're feisty. It takes a lot to keep up with them. Bottom line: not for you, not yet. Sometime in the future, though, you might be a great match for them.

Sennies: you know my Lilla is a very sweet girl, but many sennies aren't...like her. Most are more playful and outgoing, but not cuddly and cute all the time, and will be unpredictable. And are hard biters (thanks Skarila). Maybe though...? I think you could handle one, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Caiques: yes, I wouldn't recommend them for children, in most situations. Zoe, you are not inexperienced, I know that, but it's not even the bites. Caiques ARE hard biters and very unpredictable. But they're just clownish troublemakers in general. It's extremely difficult to keep up with them, especially when you go to school. I got Nutmeg as a student (older than you though) and it was hard. Amazing, but hard. And while they're what you said you're looking for..."PLAY PLAY PLAY", they're as big a commitment as any large bird. Not saying you couldn't consider getting one, just saying that I think you should wait if you want one.

You did a great job with Tango and Tiki. I'd say another conure or tiel would be an okay choice too.

Most Reactions