what do colored bands mean?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
i got my tiel from a pet store, i know, i know, they are awful but at the time i wasnt too aware. i just thought they had poor conditions, which they do but theres more to it like mills and extreme suffering. anyway, i was wondering if there was any correlation with the color of the band and something else? I've seen pink, gold, sky blue, navy blue, red, green, orange, and silvery white and i cant help but wonder if there's something to it. and if there is something to it, what does green mean? not lime green but, more like evergreen type green? thanks!

Attachments

• pooppppp.png
    pooppppp.png
    9 KB · Views: 43
  • leg band.png
    leg band.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 43

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Leg bands are sadly arbitrary as far as meaning. There are no specific standards set, so the colors and numbers are up to the breeder. A common numbering system might have a few letters that relate to the initials of the breeder, followed by letters signifying the state (in the US) and then some numbers that could mean just about anything to the breeder, like hatch date, clutch and baby number, or just the next in the number of birds they've produced. I've been down this road trying to find information about my first ekkie. Unfortunately, tracking parrots by leg band information is typically a dead end.

Might not be the info you're hoping for, but hope this helps.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
In UE band color depends on the year when the bird was hatched but I see you live in Alaska, so I guess it doesn't mean anything like Sax said.
(Actually even in UE it depends on a breeder because not everybody use the right colors - it's not obligatory. Eg. from what I read about Czech breeders, they use colors more often to differentiate siblings from different parents)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It may be a way the individual breeder keeps track of what bird hatched when. For example using blue bands for 2020 and red for 2021. Colors are easy to see from a distance.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As so well stated above, the band only has meaning to a specific breeder that uses them to track Parrots within their flock, limiting inbreeding. Some Pet Stores will require them as a short term means of tracking specific Parrots back to specific breeder as a means of controlling inventory.

There is a concern for new owner as bands can be catch in cage bars, toys, etc.. Having the band removed is very common and should be handled by your Vet.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Leg bands are sadly arbitrary as far as meaning. There are no specific standards set, so the colors and numbers are up to the breeder. A common numbering system might have a few letters that relate to the initials of the breeder, followed by letters signifying the state (in the US) and then some numbers that could mean just about anything to the breeder, like hatch date, clutch and baby number, or just the next in the number of birds they've produced. I've been down this road trying to find information about my first ekkie. Unfortunately, tracking parrots by leg band information is typically a dead end.

Might not be the info you're hoping for, but hope this helps.
i appreciate this a lot, i know nothing about bands and i once heard that the color correlated to birth month or something like that back when i first had budgies. when i was a wee little rat my grandma told me it was their name in morse code and it was a government tracker and could be swapped for a microchipped band??? some wacky, goofy stuff like that but when i had birds i was like "yeah, thats unlikely." so, now im curious, should i remove his band, even if its not causing him any issues? or can i leave it on incase he escapes and is found? because, i have his band number written down on some papers incase this happens. id post EVERYWHERE about it, including his # and his desc and things than can get him to a person (like pringles as he always wants them but never gets them when i have them, soda pets, phone cases, etc.)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Whether to remove the band or not, is a personal choice. IMHO, bands represent a hazard as they can be caught on the cage and/or toys and we choose to have our Vet remove them.

Regarding microchips for smaller Parrots that in general is seen as a physical problem. IMHO, microchips are safer for larger Parrots. Either way, only the microchip is seen by North America Courts as 'proof of ownership.'

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Whether to remove the band or not, is a personal choice. IMHO, bands represent a hazard as they can be caught on the cage and/or toys and we choose to have our Vet remove them.

Regarding microchips for smaller Parrots that in general is seen as a physical problem. IMHO, microchips are safer for larger Parrots. Either way, only the microchip is seen by North America Courts as 'proof of ownership.'
i have thought about chipping but i looked into it an was like "ya, no." but chipped bands? THAT seems awesome! however, they arent a thing unfortunately. my tiel's bad has gotten caught on something once and it was a bit scary (he wiggled free as i opened the cage door) and i thought about having my vet remove it but im not sure if i want to or not...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nope, there are no microchipped leg bands. The microchips are small enough that a cockatiel can have one; I think they’re injected.

Good to keep your bird’s band info written down. If he ever got lost this info would be a way to identify and claim him.

Rico is a cute tiel. I love the white faced cockatiels. I think they’re elegant looking.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Nope, there are no microchipped leg bands. The microchips are small enough that a cockatiel can have one; I think they’re injected.

Good to keep your bird’s band info written down. If he ever got lost this info would be a way to identify and claim him.

Rico is a cute tiel. I love the white faced cockatiels. I think they’re elegant looking.
wouldnt a chip be uncomfortable? also, his leg band numbers are wearing away though most of it is still visible, but could i replace it in the future?

and yeah, im trying to remember his band. i can remember the letters but not the numbers.
thank you! i also really like whitefaced tiels as they are, like you said, elegant, but also regal and graceful.... until theyre not so regal looking

Attachments

• IMG_E2631.JPG
    IMG_E2631.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 40

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
Have them removed by a vet or a knowledgeable breeder, and then keep the bands as a record, usually see them on budgies or canaries. I know my father put bands on his birds to keep track of genetics and age.

Most Reactions