Choufie

Apr 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Parrots
The flock:
• pallid quaker “Chouchou” born 2021
• opaline quaker “Fifi” born 2018
Fifi Bowing Her Head

So this is Fifi, who I adopted from a rescue last year. She’s estimated to be about 3-4 years old, but the rescue knew nothing else about her except that she’s female and another parrot injured her beak. I’ve finally decided on a vet and will be taking her in for exams and stuff to see where her health stands. She is pretty finicky and on edge by loud sounds or unfamiliar faces, so I’m not sure if this behavior is caused by her nervousness because sometimes she will do the panting thing that stressed parrots do, but she sometimes purrs while doing this at other times. And sometimes she’ll say her name or “hi” right after she does it. The video cuts off before I do this, but I give her kisses and she doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable with them, through she tends to not react much.

This post would be too long if I explained further, so I’ll just leave it to answering your questions about the context. But I have no idea what she means when she does this, because it’s not the same as head bobbing, but there’s no results on the internet I could find about this.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
oh sweet FiFi!! Thank you for the rescue !
Sorry I don't see the video

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Fifi Bowing Her Head

So this is Fifi, who I adopted from a rescue last year. She’s estimated to be about 3-4 years old, but the rescue knew nothing else about her except that she’s female and another parrot injured her beak. I’ve finally decided on a vet and will be taking her in for exams and stuff to see where her health stands. She is pretty finicky and on edge by loud sounds or unfamiliar faces, so I’m not sure if this behavior is caused by her nervousness because sometimes she will do the panting thing that stressed parrots do, but she sometimes purrs while doing this at other times. And sometimes she’ll say her name or “hi” right after she does it. The video cuts off before I do this, but I give her kisses and she doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable with them, through she tends to not react much.

This post would be too long if I explained further, so I’ll just leave it to answering your questions about the context. But I have no idea what she means when she does this, because it’s not the same as head bobbing, but there’s no results on the internet I could find about this.
Seems like normal dancing!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Aww, its an interesting in you, asking for attention and to come out.
Love white cages!! Looks nice and roomy! Adding a few more perches will be great.
For mine I attach one on the outside by the door, abd have them step to that before stepping to me to avoid any cage protective issues.

OP
Choufie

Choufie

Apr 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Parrots
The flock:
Aww, its an interesting in you, asking for attention and to come out.
Love white cages!! Looks nice and roomy! Adding a few more perches will be great.
For mine I attach one on the outside by the door, abd have them step to that before stepping to me to avoid any cage protective issues.
thank you for the tip! I do want to train her for flying, but I want to wait until she’s comfortable even being outside of the cages, and there’s been progress with just letting her go at her own pace, but it’s been extremely slow. I do have exterior perches near the doors because I always leave them open when I’m at home (which is pretty much all the time) and the day after that video and this photo, I changed out most those cheap little perches that come with the bird cages for some more natural-feeling perches.
I actually have separate sleeping cages in my bedroom for them (attached an old photo of them; there’s no cage cover because they don’t like it.) My other quaker likes to switch between sleeping on my pillow/head and sleeping on the window sill behind his cage, and Fifi needs her time and space alone. So she is definitely more protective of that cage and has been getting lovey-dovey with some of the toys a little too much. But she also cries if she isn’t in the same room as my other quaker.
So I got this new cage I got about a month ago so I can bring them downstairs during the day and they can be around everyone and still have a safe zone, especially since Fifi is still nervous about being out of the cage at all.
I’ll probably make this a separate thread anyways, but you happen to know anything else about the cage that could encourage her to come out on her own?

Attachments

• A46EFBA9-75C4-421D-BA11-54E8E8996BB1.jpeg
    A46EFBA9-75C4-421D-BA11-54E8E8996BB1.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
Choufie

Choufie

Apr 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Parrots
The flock:
oh sweet FiFi!! Thank you for the rescue !
Sorry I don't see the video
Oh, it the link not working? I could upload the video to another site if that’d be better.

OP
Choufie

Choufie

Apr 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Parrots
The flock:
Seems like normal dancing!
She’s been doing this (dancing) nonstop around my roommate’s boyfriend (the one who is whistling) whenever he comes over, but the whistling has just been his signature greeting. She’ll do it infront of me even in dead silence. But he’s the only other person she reacts like this to, so I couldn’t tell if she really hates us or actually enjoys our company. We were guessing the latter, but with Fifi, it’s hard to tell. She has a lot of unusual habits, even for a parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I try and add lots of stuff to the outside as well as food snd water dishes to the outside..making it fun and enriching to explore and hang out.

It's always hard when you start out with a parrot that's been through stuff. But I always want them out of the cage as soon as possible, I think it's easier working with them out of the cage. You mentioned leaving the door open, has she come out at all on her own? And you are wise working at her pace and having patience.

There are sticky threads, they are ones at the top of each forum . I think the general parrot forum page has the bonding stickies. They might be helpful.

My quakers really enjoy their veggies. Veggies are important part of their diet and can be used as foraging enriching. If you haven't gotten yours enjoying them yet. I can find some tips to share. Sometimes they take to them quickly and others are more stubborn and aren't sure they are even food.

This is a thread with ideas for fun and extended perches, play areas.

I think she looks interested in you guys and likes you. She didn't look fearful or angry.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
I agree with Laura on this!
Make the outside of the cage a fun and exciting place to explore and it will be quite rewarding at the end!
You could do this by maybe placing a little t stand or small perch outside the cage or even attached to the cage so that your fifi will still be in close proximity to her safe zone but still get used to being outside the cage.
And hey! Maybe in the future (if you don’t already have one) you can really focus on investing in a nice sized play stand for birds, if you have the means to do so and if you want to of course!
You could decorate the stand with lots of their favorite toys and some foraging stuff in order to create an enriching experience for them and show them that “hey this isn’t so bad being out here”
Again, just a long term sort of idea that I think would be cute lol!
Check out the link that Laura sent because it’s filled with many things that enrich your bird that doesn’t always have to do with play gyms.
You could have them play or try foot toys, you could have a little dance party with them, you could play some pbs for them!
Whatever works for you and your birds!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Here’s a late comment: I think Fifi looks excited and happy. Alert, and listening and responding to you, but not super agitated.

How is Fifi doing now? It’s almost two weeks later. She is a cute bird. Is she able to groom well with her beak injury? She looks neat and tidy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts