What does it mean?!?

DuskyEmmitt

May 5, 2014
Boerne Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure
New owner, so many questions!

It seems every evening around 6pm, Emmitt starts to get a little anxious. He is typically very laid back all day, just minds his own business, go's with the flow, but aroud 6 that all changes. He gets really vocal, starts to pace in his cage, crawl to the front then back to his perch, then to the front again, and back etc.

If I go to take him out he seems agitated and fusses at me. If I am persistent he will eventually go on my finger to come out, but he does a lot of flapping like he wants to fly away, stretching to see around me, etc. I tried to cover half his cage to kind of get him calmed down for bed, and it didnt seem to phase him. I took him out for a walk around the house, went out in the backyard, etc. He seemed to like that, but then was back at it when we got back to the cage.

Around 730ish I covered him up for bed, he calmed down and he was quiet till this morning. Aside from his strange growling noise he does when he starts to settle in to sleep.

Why do you think he is getting antsy around this time? Seems like he is wanting something, but I can't tell what. Do you think he may just want to be covered earlier?

Thats very normal behavior right before bed time, virtually every parrot does it. They get noisy because instinct tells them they need to call their flock back for the night, and they get a little anxious because they are like a sleepy 2 year old- tired, but don't know how to express to you they want to go to bed. And they very quickly pick up on their bed time, so if he's been going to bed at 7/7:30, then about 1/2 hour ahead of time is about right for them to start going a tad nuts.

Thats very normal behavior right before bed time, virtually every parrot does it. They get noisy because instinct tells them they need to call their flock back for the night, and they get a little anxious because they are like a sleepy 2 year old- tired, but don't know how to express to you they want to go to bed. And they very quickly pick up on their bed time, so if he's been going to bed at 7/7:30, then about 1/2 hour ahead of time is about right for them to start going a tad nuts.

Great. I kind of assume that I guess, but you helped put it into context.

I feel like a nervous parent again with a new infant at home; Worried about everything! lol

thanks!

Cookie does the same thing when she wants to go to bed.

Sounds like he just wants to go to bed. Same as Cookie.

The growling noise is probably normal. Cookie makes noises when she is sleeping. She also mumbles in her sleep. When its dark they often make various sounds and sometimes they will practice talking before they go to sleep too.

Can you leave the cage door open and see if he'll come out on his own?

If he comes out, would he be willing to step up without you forcing the step up?

If he does step up, can you "follow" him? By this, I mean to walk in whatever direction his body is pointing/leaning towards.

If he leans/points and you do that, where do you end up at? What does he end up doing?

(PS, don't recommend taking him outside without a cage or harness!)

Most Reactions

Back