What does this sound mean?!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who is around 1 years old :)

This post is in regards to a sound that Kiko has been making for the past 2 days. (Video inserted below) he makes this sound mostly during the day and he will go on for a good 1-2 hours straight. Then he will slowly stop making the sound as the day goes on. What does it mean? Is he trying to tell us something? He hasnā€™t been acting sick or different other than this sound. His poops are normal, heā€™s eating and drinking normal, hes playful and active, etc.

He has made this sound before during morning time, but it would happen occasionally. I just donā€™t get the meaning of this sound! Itā€™s a little concerning because he makes this sound NON-STOP in the mornings and sometimes afternoons.

Thanks to anyone who replies! šŸ¦¢

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sounds like a normal contact call.
looking for other Cockatiels in the area to answer.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Sounds like a normal contact call.
looking for other Cockatiels in the area to answer.
Is that bad? Sometimes I seriously get very upset that heā€™s the only bird in our home but I donā€™t know how well he would do with another cockatiel, or pet. He can be quite jealous over my brother šŸ˜­

However he might also want a bird friend? Sometimes when he looks outside the window he starts to scream as if heā€™s calling out to someone.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Buying a bird as a companion for another bird is generally frowned upon on the PF.

That being said I have done it several times and usually had success.
I have to continue later.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sorry birds were screaming.
My first Tiel landed at my feet at my workplace when I was taking a break.
I grabbed him and took him home and named him Lucky.
looked for but never found owners.
I had had Amazons for 15 years but not Tiels
I misinterpreted his body language and bought him a friend within a few months.
Baby and Lucky were best of friends for a little over 20 years till Lucky passed away last year.

my two cents, I think itā€™s good to have more than one by his/her selfie. Even if the donā€™t get along in a single cage itā€™s still company for them.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Sorry birds were screaming.
My first Tiel landed at my feet at my workplace when I was taking a break.
I grabbed him and took him home and named him Lucky.
looked for but never found owners.
I had had Amazons for 15 years but not Tiels
I misinterpreted his body language and bought him a friend within a few months.
Baby and Lucky were best of friends for a little over 20 years till Lucky passed away last year.

my two cents, I think itā€™s good to have more than one by his/her selfie. Even if the donā€™t get along in a single cage itā€™s still company for them.
Even though there is company, do you think that it is dangerous for them both to be out of their cages at the same time? Also, if we WERE to get another bird for his company, is it a better idea to get a bird that is also a Tiel, or a bird his size? Do you think a bigger parrot can be dangerous for Kiko? If they fight or attack each other??

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Even though there is company, do you think that it is dangerous for them both to be out of their cages at the same time? Also, if we WERE to get another bird for his company, is it a better idea to get a bird that is also a Tiel, or a bird his size? Do you think a bigger parrot can be dangerous for Kiko? If they fight or attack each other??
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

This is why Willow Quaker and Jasper Meyers arenā€™t out at the same time.

If Jasper pops open the door on his cage, Willow does a warning scream. Even if Jasper is just on the playgym next to his/ her cage.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have a flock of 9 birds.
For the most part I don't let my Tiels out of the cage if my larger birds are out.

As stated above sometimes it can work but it's not the way to bet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The General Warning is: There is no assurance that a new Parrot will be accepted by the existing Parrot. Size commonly matters and can be deadly if there is a disagreement.

Regarding difference in size. My good friend above has Beeb and Amy. That would be a Tiel and BFA (Hybrid: Yellow-Winged Amazon) which is nearer to four to five times the size of the Tiel. Because of Amy's sweet nature they get along famously.

Point being, there is no assurance they will get along!! Only get any additional Parrot if YOU want another as all the work will be on you regardless of, which way their relationship goes.

As Parrots pick-up new sounds they tend to use the new sound 'a lot' until something else is added.
Enjoy the Wonderful World of Parrots.

Talk more with your Parrot!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have a flock of 9 birds.
For the most part I don't let my Tiels out of the cage if my larger birds are out.

As stated above sometimes it can work but it's not the way to bet.
One thing I donā€™t understand is how do you manage your time with 9 birds and give them equal amounts of outdoors time? Kiko is never inside his cage unless heā€™s sleeping or weā€™re not home/busy. And if the other bird is also like Kiko where it hates being in a cage, even if itā€™s large, What do you do?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
One thing I donā€™t understand is how do you manage your time with 9 birds and give them equal amounts of outdoors time? Kiko is never inside his cage unless heā€™s sleeping or weā€™re not home/busy. And if the other bird is also like Kiko where it hates being in a cage, even if itā€™s large, What do you do?
My Grey Bella is out about 1/2 the day.
the Twins and Bingo come out in the morning and evening.

Of my Tiels two are special circumstances. Popeye and Angel cant fly and would injure themselves if the try.
Baby and Mango and Cheeky can come out when Bella is happy spending time in the bathroom.
Baby is old and doesnā€™t fly much.
Cheeky flys like a bullet. He is a speed demon and I donā€™t like the chance he will have a mid air with Bella.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
Munchk1n was asleep on my knee under the table ( her favourite spot ) came straight out and answered immediately to every call. I played it again same thing, she wasn't agitated just curious who the tiel was in her house. It's a standard contact call, you just need to answer him even if it's just a whistle. It can get annoyingly repetitive at times.

Most Reactions