What has been everyones first molt?

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
This more applies to those who had young green cheeks.

As it seems, at not even 5 months old (, supposedly, the breeder told me he hatched oct 30 2021) has begin the joys of molting. So a little crabby and itchy otherwise normal self.

Got fair few patches growing in new feather wise now on his head, few other patches on his neck and face.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very young Parrots of near all species will have several transitions of feathering over the first couple of years. Within six months of hatching is fair common with some earlier.

Nothing more enjoyable than a Healthy Amazon Molting its Winter downy feathers. Nothing like coming home to a home that looks more like a winter snow storm hit while you were out for a few hours.

Enjoy, more to come!!

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Very young Parrots of near all species will have several transitions of feathering over the first couple of years. Within six months of hatching is fair common with some earlier.

Nothing more enjoyable than a Healthy Amazon Molting its Winter downy feathers. Nothing like coming home to a home that looks more like a winter snow storm hit while you were out for a few hours.

Enjoy, more to come!!

Pffff oh no

Thankfully it's just a few patches at a time right now but alas I would think as it gets warmer that may be a bit different

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Pffff oh no

Thankfully it's just a few patches at a time right now but alas I would think as it gets warmer that may be a bit different

You are likely seeing your Parrots first or second molt and it is more age related than time of year or temperature. If you are in a cooler region, assure your young Parrot has a heat source or something warm to cuddle into.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
You are likely seeing your Parrots first or second molt and it is more age related than time of year or temperature. If you are in a cooler region, assure your young Parrot has a heat source or something warm to cuddle into.
I would think first molt ? I got him at 11 weeks old

Oh house is plenty warm right now, I have reptiles in the main living spaces so we are at a comfortable 22 degrees year round.

Tweetyone

Mar 23, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheeked conures
This more applies to those who had young green cheeks.

As it seems, at not even 5 months old (, supposedly, the breeder told me he hatched oct 30 2021) has begin the joys of molting. So a little crabby and itchy otherwise normal self.

Got fair few patches growing in new feather wise now on his head, few other patches on his neck and face.

Tweetyone

Mar 23, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheeked conures
Mine is the same as yours, 5 maths old.
A lot of itching and the occasional bite where she never would before and a bit of a grumpy bum.. lol.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Mine is the same as yours, 5 maths old.
A lot of itching and the occasional bite where she never would before and a bit of a grumpy bum.. lol.

He has gotten more pin feathers and now just about the same matching bald spot as my uncle lmao

Most Reactions

Latest posts