What is this?

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
About 6 months ago I took my lovebird kiwi to the vet because she looked as if she was ill. During that time she managed to pluck all of the feathers from her neck and under her wings...the vet told me that she could just be stressed out and plucking. It is now 6 months later and she still continues to pluck and scratch her neck and wings. There is something I have begun to notice...

When she pulls a blood feather/follicle/sheath out, it doesnt hurt her (she doesnt squeak). The blood feather is always like the image below and has a gooey yellow to black substance where the root is in the skin. She never allows the feathers on her neck to grow out; if they do, theyre usually dull and lifeless looking. Also her skin seems very dry... Is something else going on here?

Attachments

• 20200727_164403.jpg
    20200727_164403.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 102

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Did the vet run any lab work? If not, I would find another vet. Look for a certified avian vet rather than just an exotics vet as they will have more specialized knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Well I'm no vet but going by the description there is an infection at the root of the feather. The black I would guess is dry blood and the yellow gooey is most likely pus. But I am no vet or expert by any stretch of the imagination. I would very strongly suggest a different vet or better a CAV.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I’ve seen this when I accidentally scratch out a young down feather, it’s like the whole mini new growing feather still in the sheath stage...

Most Reactions

Latest posts