What kind of Amazon

lovecoco

Jul 14, 2015
Hi,

I'm back. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions yesterday, this is a great forum. Roxie seemed even nicer today and of course I was happy about it. I do understand that everyday can be different but I think overall we've made progress. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of Amazon she is. From pictures I've seen online, I think she's a Red Crown Amazon, but I'm no expert and would love some feedback.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 284

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Red Crowned, Green Cheeked, Mexican Red Headed... different common names for the same bird. Roxie is beautiful!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Julie (RavensGryf) is right, there are multiple, accurate names used for that species. Take your pick:D

My mom has always referred to her boy as a green cheek amazon. Roxie is a beautiful girl, and GCAs are such sweet birds! Much different than the 'hot 3' amazons. You're going to love sharing your home with her!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Roxie is a real beauty! Congratulations!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. That's what we always called them Mexican Red Heads, but Julie's 100% right.

They're very similar in personality to Lilac Crowns, and Red Loreds, though perhaps a tad more vocal. They tend to be one of the calmer amazon species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-crowned_amazon

Last edited:
OP
L

lovecoco

Jul 14, 2015
Thanks, everyone. The shelter I adopted her from didn't even know what kind of bird she was. I had to tell them she was an Amazon. I just wasn't too sure if I had the correct type. I know that may sound strange but that shelter gets so many animals daily and it's so sad. I feel so happy to have been able to adopt her and give her love and a good home. I feel we were meant to be together. She's not being as nice as yesterday today, but I'm learning that that's all normal and I'm just trying to go by all the tips I'm getting. She seems to really want me one second and then later she seems to not want attention lol. Overall, I'd say she is coming around and I truly feel lots of love for her already.:green1::green1::)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Roxie is gorgeous!

Skybird

May 2, 2015
NE Ohio
Parrots
Skylar -- CAG 10 yrs old
Reggie -- Amazon Blue Front 15 yrs old
Hi,

I'm back. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions yesterday, this is a great forum. Roxie seemed even nicer today and of course I was happy about it. I do understand that everyday can be different but I think overall we've made progress. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of Amazon she is. From pictures I've seen online, I think she's a Red Crown Amazon, but I'm no expert and would love some feedback.

Roxie is so beautiful!
:green::grey:

Most Reactions