What kinds of rice?

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Hi everyone. From what I've read, brown rice and wild rice is good for birds, and white rice is ok, but more of a treat. However, I couldn't find anything on different types of wild and brown rice. Does it matter what kind of rice it is, or is all brown and wild rice good? Thanks for any help!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My birds love rice. Any kind...brown, wild, white. Cooked any way at all. Plain, or any way that I cook it for myself. Also, quinoa, couscous, bulgar wheat, and grits.

OP
Julianna

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
OK, thanks! Now I just have to figure out if Pippi will actually eat any! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Brown rice and wild rice are very good choices and that's what we feed our birds. White rice are high in sugar content. Your able to find the brown rice even at walmart! Otherwise shop at your local whole foods store as they should have all that stuff.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like one of the reply on that post says, eat everything in moderation! Just about anything and everything is bad in one way or another. Rice should always be washed several times before cooking anyways. That's what I learned to do while growing up. And that was noted in as it does help remove some arsenic. But I do prefer white jasmine rice better so we usually get both.

OP
Julianna

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to wash the rice well, and of course feed it in moderation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts