What makes a "Bird Expert" an Expert

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Before I go on I have to say I mean no disrespect here at all. I'm just interested in what we all think. I have emailed an Expert today who I know from a few years ago, I'll let you know what she says.

Now, I know Greys (Well my two) and the experience I have with them and all the research I've done on them, but, if I were to meet Cricket, would I think I could do the same things to her as I could with mine, I'm sure that Cricket's body language would differ in some way to Bucc and Kito's. With my two their body language is very different and so are their personalities,

In your opinion what makes an expert and expert, is it the degrees they have, the experience they have or the amount of years they have worked with birds. :confused:

As I say I mean no disrespect for any of the "experts" its just something that I have always asked myself when anyone mentions experts.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I think that a true "EXPERT" has knowledge, experiences and talents that he or she can use in any situation to create a consistant, predictible result 95% of the time (unless you play professional baseball, then you only have to achieve a consistant, predictible result about 30% of the time).

Hows that for a decent definition?

~ Tex

MLB

Dec 27, 2006
WI
Parrots
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo ~ Blue Quaker to be
An expert is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of knowledge, technique, or skill whose judgement is accorded authority and status by the public or their peers. Experts have prolonged or intense experience through practice and education in a particular field. The opposite of an expert is generally known as a layperson, while someone who occupies a middle grade of understanding is generally known as a technician and often employed to assist experts. ... This is the def. of Expert:p

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
MLB, I wasn't looking for the definition of an expert, I knew that, what I meant was as each and every bird is different how can an expert of CAG (for example) say they are an expert when they only know the birds they work with. Does that make sense.

I asked my avain vet and his answer was "about 5 years + and Β£20,000 debt :34:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
..."about 5 years + and Β£20,000 debt :34:

Wow, vet school is a deal in the UK ... vet school here is about $80,000 (40,000 UK pounds) ... Maybe I should become a citizen of the UK and go to school there ... :confused: :eek: :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Maybe I should become a citizen of the UK and go to school there ... :confused: :eek: :D

That's what I was thinking. However a good friend of mine goes to school in London and says it really expensive. She goes to an American School though, that's based there, so that might be why.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Nope its not that cheap here, think it was just a figure he pulled out of the hat. I wish sometimes we were as cheap as you can get some things from the US really I do. I know some people come out of school owing something like Β£50,000+

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
:mad: I just wrote a big long thing then lost it .... :p

ok with out all blah blah, I wrote...

My idea of an expert is someone who is able to deal with the different personalities and the knowledge of the species... kind of like how our doctors, therapist, ect deal with us

Prolly more of a trait than then something you can get out of a book

:D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I know some people come out of school owing something like Β£50,000+

Yup. In a few years I'll be one of those people...nice job title...lot's of debt

I think an expert is someone that can apply their knowledge to different situations. They understand it so well, that even when things aren't 'by the book' they understand what's going on.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
So I have volunteered for ALL EXPERTS online sight in the category parrots. I have been doing this for quite some time I in NO WAY consider my self to be an expert but I like the chance it gives me to put a little of my knowledge to use. My answers are then rated and I get an idea of how I am doing it is a good way for people like me that want a job at an animal facility to prove their knowledge by showing the person hey I have all these reviews from people who I have answered questions for. If ya'll want more info about the sight just let me know.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
I think there is a difference being an expert on a given "subject".......but I am the expert on my husband kids dog horse and parrot. I know they are ill or down etc before they do ....kids think im a witch at 18 and 20 I still know when they need a pee!!!! just like I know when rXy gonna poo. but |I wouldnt have a clue on anyone elses pets or family.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I think there is a difference being an expert on a given "subject".......but I am the expert on my husband kids dog horse and parrot. I know they are ill or down etc before they do ....kids think im a witch at 18 and 20 I still know when they need a pee!!!! just like I know when rXy gonna poo. but |I wouldnt have a clue on anyone elses pets or family.

Think it must be only a brit can think like another brit, I was thinking the same thing. :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I should hear from the expert that I emailed earlier, she knows me and my weird questions. :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
I agree with both Tex and Karen. I think it depends on which subject. An expert should ahve knowledge, experiance, and valid a hypothosis more than 75% of the time. In bird terms. they should know the behaviour of the bird and its instincts. ya what i said is basicly the same a tex.. and karen.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
In bird terms. they should know the behaviour of the bird and its instincts.

That is something that came to my mind as well, but then I thought, it takes time to get to know a particular bird and it habits, for instance (I'll use Bucc and Kito here)

Bucc is for the most part the sterotypical Grey, takes a while for him to get used to new things, is not really that cuddly and is more or less a one person bird.

Kito on the other hand is nothing like the sterotypical Grey, he loves new toys, will cuddle with ya all day if he could, and will go to anyone even when we are out.

So if I were the expert (I wish) and I was coming out to work with these two, how could I get to know them or help solve a problem with them in a matter of minutes. (Yet the experts usually do just that :confused: )

Hmmmm the more I look into this and think about it, it only raises more questions for me. I hope my expert gets back to me soon. :D I'm really gonna have to stop thinking or at least asking these sorts of questions. Its just a shame that I was never this inquisitve when I was at school. :eek: :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Cricket loves new toys too. I didnt understand why she wasn't afraid of any of them... cause thats what the book told she would do.
If I were to put a new toy in there she would be all over it although sometimes she wants nothing to do with it, and that usualy because, well she doen't like it... then i have to do something to it to make it appealing; like move it or add to it. Then its gone with the wind :eek:
i am going to see if she would like a pinata for her birthday, I am going to try and take pictures/movie of it but the shreadable toys takes her a while to catch on... she is like a kid "ooo new toy got to take care of it" 24 hrs later "old toy... must distroy to get another new one" :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep sounds a bit like Kito. :D Bucc's new toys always stay unused for ages, after he's got used to them and Kito has gone through a dozen or so by then, Bucc happily destroys it in under 5 mins usually. :D

Most Reactions