Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Saw a poll like this on another forum and thought it'd be cool to post here.

I'd find it interesting to know what people feed their birds.

Some additional questions-

What else does your bird eat?
Why did you choose the food?

Please keep this thread civil and don't argue with others about what they feed their bird. You can share info about why or why not a pellet is good or not. This thread is purely just to see what others feed and learn more about certain brands.

I feed TOP's with some dry mix and a variety of veggies, grains, sprouts etc, so I'm voting TOP's

I am just going to name the manufacturer and not each individual pellet. If you want to state your pellet, feel free to reply to this thread.

I hope you guys find this interesting :)

Anè

Last edited:

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
For my sun conure:
Tropican High Performance Formula in the deep winter
Tropican Lifetime Formula otherwise
Also bought Hagen Tropimix, will try soon

My son liked roasted unsalted cashew the most. He would do anything for a cashew. He learned to open half locked door within 1 minute cuz there was a cashew on the other side.

My son liked carrot, kiwi and blueberry too. He hated egg yolk and would kick it out of his food bowl.

This newly adopted red sun likes everything my son liked, except he is not a fan of cashew.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton gets fed a mix of Harrisons High Potency Fine, Roudybush, Tops, and a cockatiel seed blend. I don't think he's ever actually eaten the TOPS and he's iffy on the Harrisons most days. Veggies for breakfast and dinner mixed with a little seed; he's gotten good about trying new foods :)

Last edited:

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I'm actually gonna order TOP's after I run out Tropican in 3 months. I found a store nearby that sells them in small quantities. It's more expensive than Tropican, but not crazy expensive.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow eats Harrison’s high potency fine. Jasper eats zupreem naturals and the pellets Willow doesn’t like.

They also sample my meal if it is parrot friendly and get bits of vegetables (some fruit) at least once a day.

Avicakes are a treat for Willow and Jasper just ate a seed treat stick. That was a first, but he enjoyed it and he so likes to destroy things.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I'm out of luck feeding my red sun Tropimix, dry or soaked. He doesn't eat it much and I'm forced to buy TOP's ASAP, since I don't have Tropican Lifetime Formula pellets now.

The Tropimix doesn't have the weird bubblegum smell that the Tropican Lifetime Formula has. But Tropimix has a sweet smell, I'm not sure if it has a lot of sugar, I didn't taste it. It also has peanuts and corns + lots of seeds / dried fruits in it. I have the impression that my red sun is just chewing on it before dropping it, and he isn't really swallowing it.

Last edited:

Squiggles:D

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Squiggles (about half a year old)
Black capped conure
Squiggles eats nutriblend vetafarm because it was what the breeder had him on - he also eats lots of veggies sprouts and walnuts

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I bought 1lb bag of TOP's pellets and Harrison's high potency fine.

The store owner told me that her customers prefer Harrison's to TOP's. She believes TOP's is a small company with only a few machines (would that matter?). She added that TOP's pellets contain pepper = spicy. I put TOP's pellets in my mouth, it tastes good, and not spicy at all.

She also told me she wouldn't feed her parrots the Tropimix, saying those dried fruits were leftovers from human products.

I opened the bag of TOP's, it smells so good and natural. The bag itself is also solid. Unfortunately she only has 2 bags of large sized pellets, so I have to break it into smaller pieces before feeding. The pellet is extra crispy and can create a lot of waste. I can't say for sure yet but my red sun seems to like TOP's. If he doesn't, Harrison's will be my last resort.

The store owner also told me all parrots love pomegranate juice. If they don't eat the pellets, I can soak it in the pomegranate juice. I remain skeptical because the juice itself is sweet.

Last edited:

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
It's interesting to see what everyone is feeding their birds. I would be curious to see what pellet people feed off of species of bird also.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My birds eat TOPs, that is most of them do. My Quaker, Gcc, and budgies do, my cockatiels however won't eat pellets, little do the cockatiels know that the birdie bread they so voraciously eat everyday for dinner has a 'flour' base of Tops! I also sprinkle the pellet powder on their chop twice a week.
I feed Tops because it doesn't have anything artificial and it doesn't have corn, wheat, or soy which most other pellets have as there first of so in ingredient.
Other than Tops they eat chop, sprouts, Dr. Harveys seed, and as a treat twice a day they each get a nutriberry (the budgies all split one, crumbled) I don't love nutriberry ingredients but they all adore them, I tried making my own but they just didn't seemed too thrilled with them.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
My red sun doesn't appear to like TOP's, unfortunately. At times he was just chewing the TOP's without swallowing. His poops were mostly water, indicating he didn't ingest the actual pellets. He was also throwing a good amount of TOP's powder out of his food bowl.

Only exception is yesterday's afternoon, he actually ate a fair amount of TOP's after I gave him a cashew. I could tell from his consistent poops in the next 6 hours.

Overnight up till this morning, however, he didn't seem to eat the TOP's again.

Today, I put some Tropimix and TOP's in 1:3 ratio, mixed and soak in water, and he started eating the Tropimix pellets and peanuts. Not sure if he had any TOP's. His preference is clear: Tropican Lifetime Formula > Tropimix > TOP's.

What can I do to make my red sun like TOP's?

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My red sun doesn't appear to like TOP's, unfortunately. At times he was just chewing the TOP's without swallowing. His poops were mostly water, indicating he didn't ingest the actual pellets. He was also throwing a good amount of TOP's powder out of his food bowl.

Only exception is yesterday's afternoon, he actually ate a fair amount of TOP's after I gave him a cashew. I could tell from his consistent poops in the next 6 hours.

Today, I put some Tropimix and TOP's in 1:3 ratio, mixed and soak in water, and he started eating the Tropimix pellets and peanuts. Not sure if he had any TOP's. His preference is clear: Tropican Lifetime Formula > Tropimix > TOP's.

I make birdie bread that has the 'flour' part as Tops pellets, that's how I some of my birds to eat it. As time goes on you start putting actual pellet chunks in the bread, not just powder. Even if your bird never eats them plain and dry at least they eat the bread, its also a great way to sneak veggies into their diet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)

Ah, are you weighing your sun while doing this?

I’ve had better success getting birds to eat Harrison’s over TOPS. Either way though please be sure your bird always has a food they’re willing to eat in their bowl! They can easily and quickly lose a dangerous amount of weight and even die; I speak from experience. I would not wish that on anyone.

Most Reactions