What should i do about a Broken tail feather?

SleepyLuca

May 7, 2022
Southern California
Parrots
Independence(indi)
My almost two year old conure has a broken tail feather and it won’t fall out. I can tell it’s bothering him because he won’t leave it alone, but I don’t know how to help him. Is there a way I could maybe trim it off or pluck it? I really don’t wanna hurt him and I don’t want him to have this stupid feather stuck on him and irritating him like it has been :’) it’s been a few days since I noticed it’s been getting worse, so if you have any suggestions on what to do, let me know! ^^’

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Is this a blood feather or a fully mature feather?

If blood feather, it must be plucked.

If it’s just a normal feather, you can certainly trim it if it’s a bother.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
When Phoenix was young he was not graceful at all. When his first molt came around he had five broken tail feather stubs. If the end didn't fall off when the break happened I would just clip it off at the break and leave the attached stub alone. During the next molt he replaced all of his tail feathers.
20191107_075958.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When Phoenix was young he was not graceful at all. When his first molt came around he had five broken tail feather stubs. If the end didn't fall off when the break happened I would just clip it off at the break and leave the attached stub alone. During the next molt he replaced all of his tail feathers.
View attachment 39670
That’s what I was going to suggest. If the feather is cracked and half broken off, clip or cut it at the break.

Make the broken tail feather less fun to mess with and maybe you will be less likely to end up with a feather chewing bird.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty had this goofy tail feather that got twisted around, for weeks and one day he yanked it out, himself.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Depends on what it is. If it is a fully formed feather then you can either leave it or clip off the broken part.

If it is still developing, it will have blood flow so if that is broken, he will bleed so it’s best to remove it, cauterize it, and get him to a veterinarian afterwards.

Most Reactions

Latest posts