What should I pair up!?!?! I’m so confused

OP
G

Gab455

Sep 1, 2022
Parrots
Ringnecks
The breeders aren’t having any issues selling other mutations and colors they’re having a bigger issue selling green irn. IRN can be very tame if raised correctly from the time they’re young I know several people who own them as pets. It isn’t about driving to the harlequin that’s the issue it’s that she more than likely isn’t a harlequin at all. I’m aware of the costs involved I’ve done my research , spoken to several people who not only breed them but several people who own them as well so that I’m aware of both sides of the coin. I’m invested in my animals whether I use them for breeding or not . My animals come first . I’m trying to choose a pair wisely as I’m only investing in one pair. I’ve driven several hours to pick up a dog or a horse but I know what I’m getting when I do so but the person describing the bird says one thing and the pictures reflect another. I’m not cutting corners and I’m not 100% on what even gave you that idea because I came into this blog to try to better educate myself more than what I’ve already done speaking to several people including Tony Silva who’s from Homestead where I live. I’m trying to make a wise decision and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
There is nothing wrong with trying to make the best decision. We are simply trying to make sure you are prepared in case you need to handfeed, etc.
I had to Google Tony Silva, have you read the Wikipedia on him? I'm glad you have also spoken to other breeders.
Please don't take offense to people asking you about your experience, etc. We worry about baby birds and just want to make sure you are ready for common things that may arise. All we want is for you to be successful if you are going to breed and have a clutch of healthy, happy babies.

OP
G

Gab455

Sep 1, 2022
Parrots
Ringnecks
There is nothing wrong with trying to make the best decision. We are simply trying to make sure you are prepared in case you need to handfeed, etc.
I had to Google Tony Silva, have you read the Wikipedia on him? I'm glad you have also spoken to other breeders.
Please don't take offense to people asking you about your experience, etc. We worry about baby birds and just want to make sure you are ready for common things that may arise. All we want is for you to be successful if you are going to breed and have a clutch of healthy, happy babies.
Yes I have read the Wikipedia on him . I spoke to him on his knowledge of genetics and rearing birds not his ethics. I didn’t say he was God however he has more knowledge than most. I intend to hand feed my babies I don’t want my hen to be
yes I had read all the information on him but I reached out to him on on his knowledge of genetics and reading the best way to ensure my babies health as well as the parents . I didn’t ask him about his morals or his business beliefs and that doesn’t take away from his knowledge of birds , their genetics or their health. I’ve raised several kinds of animals and have always cared for my animals well being long before money or anything else. I’ve always vetted homes and written contracts to ensure my animals are abused, I also don’t sell to the first person that shows up with money in hand and would never sell to a pet shop. The fact that I want a specific color or avoiding certain colors is a personal choice of mine I’m not producing any form of quantity and I want to enjoy my pair as well. If I were in it for the money I would breed the two cockatoos I own and won’t because I’m fully aware of those risks yet their babies sell for well over $4500 in my area. I understand ppl being concerned about the well being of animals as am I , I’ve worked at rescues, donate to sanctuaries etc I was asking about color genetics on Indian ringnecks which is quite a complicated subject maybe peoples approach should be a little different instead of assuming everyone is money hungry and ignorant. Thank u for your time .

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I never called you money hungry or ignorant, in fact I didn't see where anyone said that.
The reason you were questioned is because when reading your posts it sounded like you were not very experienced. We see too many come through who are completely unprepared for breeding and we like to make sure we can give them the info they need if that is the case. Birds come first here, above everything else. I'm sorry you were offended, but we always have to think of the bird's welfare.

I mentioned Wiki because I wanted to make sure you had read about how horrifically the birds he smuggled in were treated. IMO that takes away his authority to speak about a bird's health when he was responsible for so many deaths.

Have you handfed before with the Amazons you bred? Is so, that will definitely help you with the babies. It is recommended to leave the birds with their parents for at least a few weeks before starting handfeeding.

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I mentioned Wiki because wanted to make sure you had read about how horrifically the birds he smuggled in were treated. IMO that takes away his authority to speak about a bird's health when he was responsible for so many deaths.
I agree. In 2017 (because then he described the blue winged amazon) I read a lot of things about him... unfortunately we can't deny that he is a huge parrot expert. He was working in Loro Parque, he is the first American who bred slender billed conures, has own books and articles translated to many languages... Some people are able to change... maybe he doesn't smuggle any longer but he still lies (I've seen it on the Internet), so I don't trust him, not mentiong this what he did in the past.

Most Reactions

Latest posts