What size harness for Hahns macaw?

Hawaii

May 23, 2022
Parrots
One Hahn’s Macaw.
Hi, what size of Aviator harness is ideal for Hahns macaw? My feathered baby is a year old and 140grams. I tried the XS few months ago when he was around 130 grams - based on the Aviator harness size chart suggestion and I felt it was small for him so returned it but I could be wrong too as I never got to put it on him completely as he always ended up getting tangled in it while I was trying to get him wear it which is the reason I felt it's small for him.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Hi, what size of Aviator harness is ideal for Hahns macaw? My feathered baby is a year old and 140grams. I tried the XS few months ago when he was around 130 grams - based on the Aviator harness size chart suggestion and I felt it was small for him so returned it but I could be wrong too as I never got to put it on him completely as he always ended up getting tangled in it while I was trying to get him wear it which is the reason I felt it's small for him.
I have an Aviator and an Avianweb harness for my Harlequin macaw. And I (and Pancho) like Avianweb better. Avianweb will personalize for free, and will help with sizing (and even replace with different size if it's wrong).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I always recommend getting one size larger then indicated, it make learning to accept the harness a lot easier, specifically the head loop is bigger. Once he is trained to readily accept it, you can go down a size. Patience is needed to go thru the gradual process of using a harness. It took me and Salty a whole year of nightly training with the Aviator until he wouldn't freak out. Now he is calm and collected when getting into it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts