What strange habit does your bird have?

Mr_Tarell

Oct 16, 2012
Long Island, N.Y.
Parrots
Alexandrine named Tiki
Hi there,
So I've had my alexandrine Tiki for about 10 months now. (he or she is about two years old) And every time I take Tiki out of the cage, as soon as he gets out the cage he will poop; right on the floor, inches from the cage. Once he's out the cage door he poops. I've noticed this for a while now, but didn't give it any thought. He does this every time he exits the cage, whether its one or multiple times a day. It gets funny and kinda embarrassing when guests wants to interact with him. Im not trying to change him, its just him; if the habit stops great, if not, I can live with it. I just want to know, Does your feathered friend have a weird habit as well? :green2:

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
idk of any bad habits ATM..but he never poops n the car. or his travel crate. he poops before i walk n the house

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Could you put a little rubbish bin under his/her cage doorway, then when you get Tiki out say 'Bombs Away' (or something) just before he poops? You might get Tiki potty trained really easily?

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Audrey will poop on my partner, every time, without fail. She will sit on me for an hour with no poo, then she climbs over to him, does a poop then comes back to me. Hahahaha.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Audrey will poop on my partner, every time, without fail. She will sit on me for an hour with no poo, then she climbs over to him, does a poop then comes back to me. Hahahaha.

hehe :D love it!

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
My alex does the same thing, and so did my irn. Really I think it's because they were still for a long time, and they decided they should poop first before moving. This makes it much easier to potty train them.

As far as weird habits, my Alex really, really likes feet. He flies to them and likes to nibble on toes. Iff you try and shake him off it becomes a fun game for him and he grips tightly and makes happy noises. If he's sleepy he also likes to sleep on feet. I have no idea why this is.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
haha thats hilarious kc :p

Fargo is really good with going to the toilet in the right place.. he will go to the toilet in his cage just before he comes out! and if hes out he flies over to the cage door and will go to the toilet on the newspaper there.. i never have to clean up after him! :)

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
My princess used to love toes too...she would cosy up to them & talk to them. Sometimes she would even regurgitate food for them, lol. I used to wonder if she thought they were baby birds? or maybe that they were potential mate-material?

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
My princess used to love toes too...she would cosy up to them & talk to them. Sometimes she would even regurgitate food for them, lol. I used to wonder if she thought they were baby birds? or maybe that they were potential mate-material?

Omg! Audrey regurgitates on my toes as well! Never met another bird who does it lol!! We have little foot fetish birds! :p

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots

Omg! Audrey regurgitates on my toes as well! Never met another bird who does it lol!! We have little foot fetish birds! :p

Really, yours too!? LOL An Aussie trait perhaps? ;)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Really, yours too!? LOL An Aussie trait perhaps? ;)

My Hunter did this. Not once or twice, but numerous times. And only on the BIG toe, during summer, when the toes are exposed. I broke her off that habit though by not letting her near my (uncovered) feet. :)

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
omg to Audrey and kc-y0s princess - thats precious :) my baby alex has taken to falling asleep straight away when my daughter plays rock a bye baby lullaby. very handy :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
She eats ants....

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
lol she's a bit weird. If they're out in the grass or in the house, trust her to find and eat them. Vet says it's full or protien and healthy though lol

GCC

Oct 17, 2012
Parrots
soon to have a GCC
These are all so cute!! i cant wait to get my gcc!!! :)

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
Sweet Pea likes to play a tapping game he invented. He takes a toy and taps a pattern on something that will make a noise with it. He waits for a response. Rinse, Repeat. It's addictive to play that game with him.

Always has a toy in his left foot, always, even when he preens, and as he drifts off to sleep.

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Hi there,
So I've had my alexandrine Tiki for about 10 months now. (he or she is about two years old) And every time I take Tiki out of the cage, as soon as he gets out the cage he will poop; right on the floor, inches from the cage. Once he's out the cage door he poops. I've noticed this for a while now, but didn't give it any thought. He does this every time he exits the cage, whether its one or multiple times a day. It gets funny and kinda embarrassing when guests wants to interact with him. Im not trying to change him, its just him; if the habit stops great, if not, I can live with it. I just want to know, Does your feathered friend have a weird habit as well? :green2:

This could be a pre-flight response. Birds lighten up before flying. Even though your bird may not actual take flight this could be an instinctive behavior. Place a sheet of newspaper under the cage door and place him on the top edge of the door until he relieves himself.

Last edited:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Sweet Pea likes to play a tapping game he invented. He takes a toy and taps a pattern on something that will make a noise with it. He waits for a response. Rinse, Repeat. It's addictive to play that game with him.

Pritti does that exact same thing with mirrors.

Here's a new one to add to the list here. He "flosses" his beak with newspaper after eating. Shreds a piece, chews it into a ball and rolls it around inside his beak then grinds it up into nearly powder that falls out of his beak. Started it about 3 years ago and does it every time he eats. Why he started this when he was 27... who knows. These kooky birds!
:green1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts