What to do?

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
My parrolet started having breathing problems and his chirps would be raspy. I took him to the vet today and the vet told me he had a bad respiratory infection.
They gave me a syringe to put into a gallon of water and give to him for a week. They also gave me some baytril to give him in the morning and night, and some bird vitamins to add to his water. I feel so stressed im so scared to lose him, what did I do wrong? What can I change? Do I need a air purifier? A humidifier? I just need to know what I should do? Has anyone dealt with this before?
He belonged to my brother, once he moved he kinda just pawned him off on my mom to take care of, but I took him in. I have been trying hard to learn as much as I can to make sure he is healthy and happy. He has ate seed his whole life. I started giving him roudybush pallets. And started trying to add veggies into his meals. He does eat the pellets and veggies at times. He loves quinoa. I got rid of my non stick pans and found a ceramic one to use. I just feel stressed. Im just scared he won't get better.

Manabi

Nov 21, 2017
Florida, USA
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets
Hi Milly,

I'm very sorry to hear that ... I'm an old breeder of them ..
I know what you're going through, the medicine that the vet gave you, ... Baytril ,,, I don't know which one ... 5% or 10% .... I think about 5%
Super good .... wait, make prayers for your baby ... Just put seeds and a Spray Millet
I think, almost certainly, that it will be fine.
That is an infection, maybe respiratory.
I wish you good luck, I will pray for him ...
- Manabi

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Hi Milly,

I'm very sorry to hear that ... I'm an old breeder of them ..
I know what you're going through, the medicine that the vet gave you, ... Baytril ,,, I don't know which one ... 5% or 10% .... I think about 5%
Super good .... wait, make prayers for your baby ... Just put seeds and a Spray Millet
I think, almost certainly, that it will be fine.
That is an infection, maybe respiratory.
I wish you good luck, I will pray for him ...
- Manabi
Thank you 😊

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to know your parrotlet has apparent respiratory infection. Highly treatable when noted early and properly medicated. Is your vet avian certified, were diagnostic tests performed? Critical to identify offending organism and prescribe effective meds. Baytril a broad spectrum drug, not ideal for every case.

Wishing your bird a swift and full recovery!

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Sorry to know your parrotlet has apparent respiratory infection. Highly treatable when noted early and properly medicated. Is your vet avian certified, were diagnostic tests performed? Critical to identify offending organism and prescribe effective meds. Baytril a broad spectrum drug, not ideal for every case.

Wishing your bird a swift and full recovery!
Thank you. I live in the south so there is not many avian vets. I drove almost 3 hours to Nashville, he specializes in exotic pets. He told me to give those meds, he also mentioned getting a light to put on one side of his cage so he stays very warm so he can fight it off. But now I'm scared to get anything cause I'm always worried something has teflon in it. Or other things that can harm him.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you. I live in the south so there is not many avian vets. I drove almost 3 hours to Nashville, he specializes in exotic pets. He told me to give those meds, he also mentioned getting a light to put on one side of his cage so he stays very warm so he can fight it off. But now I'm scared to get anything cause I'm always worried something has teflon in it. Or other things that can harm him.
Completely understand, sometimes an "exotic" vet is all one can reasonably source. Finding Teflon and similar application-free apparatus a challenge. Perhaps a simple light fixture with old-style 100watt incandescent light bulb will suffice. They produce as much heat as light and are simply constructed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts