What types of birds can send you to the emergency room?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I know Macaws can but could small birds send you to the ER? I think I heard of someone's Amazon sending them to the ER during breeding season.

I have a Quaker and a Sun. I would be mortified if I ended up in the ER because one of them bit me. The Quakers can't do that much damage. My Sun Conure has left me with scars but I was always able to treat the wounds at home.

Please tell me that I am in the clear. I have this vision of me showing up all bloody to the ER and saying "My bird who doesn't even weigh a pound did it." LOL!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I would think that regarding your two, you're in the clear! :)

An injury that requires ER attention doesn't always have to be a massive beak. My cat once got his claw stuck in my eyelid, for example lol

But yes I think your likelihood of having to explain blood spurting isn't very high :)

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
An injury that requires ER attention doesn't always have to be a massive beak. My cat once got his claw stuck in my eyelid, for example lol
That sounds extremely precarious! Did you get it out before you went to the ER?! Or, did you both go?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Aside from budgies, any parrot can bite hard enough and have a sharp enough beak to require stiches, if they nail you in the wrong place. Lips, inner ears, eyes are all sensitive and very soft tissue. Shoulder position is one that is earned and has to be maintained to enjoy shoulder privileges.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Even if the wound was self-inflicted or by another Human, the ER staff really do not care!! Their interest is to stop the bleeding! Sadly, both of your Parrots can cause enough of a wound to require a trip to the ER (see above). If they ask, it is more from the vantage point of understanding what concern of infection they need to be aware of. Or, just to keep you talking /awake.

Developing a Bonded Relationship is very important and the likelihood of a few bites will occur will become less.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
:)
:)
Yikes, let's hope they don't nail me there then.

I have been bitten on the lip and while I may have bled, it wasn't enough to send me to the ER. Most of them resulted in what felt like canker sores.

Another good reason to not have them constantly on my shoulders. The main reason is that whenever they are up there, they leave little green gifts all over my shirt or they start touching my hearing aid or earrings.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Coming in late on this thread, but my sister (on with whom I do not get) had a budgie once: a tiny little green thing with a jaunty demeanour. One day, she had the budgie on her finger and brought it close to her face for a smooch.

Heh. Hee! Heeheeheeheehee!!!

The budgie took a walloping great bite out of her nasal septum and apparently damaged an artery, because nothing we did would stop the bleeding. The nice doctor at the ER cauterised the artery and recommended that she should not allow her budgie near her face again. That was how my son inherited the budgie, Coconut. :D

PS. I've often wondered what effect a huge, looming human face has on a little bird. It must be quite scary, y'know, as plenty of people get bitten on their faces.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think part of the issue may be that people have forward facing predator eyes and can have a predator stare. Peoples faces look more like a cat or an owl than another bird. If you watch a bird that doesn't know you intensely you may make it very nervous.

Most Reactions