what's cookin'(people food)

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Wow that looks great! I should make something today... hmm, what to cook what to cook what to cook.....

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Super Easy Super Veg Soup

25677d1611080089-what-s-cookin-people-food-da4dae42-f794-4407-ab17-83d6f50d2481.jpg

EASY PEASY PART:
(...but, NO peas, btw!)

-Half bag frozen chopped onions
-1 tsp minced garlic (from jar)

---Saute onions & garlic in a spoonful or so olive oil and or butter, in bottom of a Stockpot

---Add a little water then add:

-Half bag frozen cut green beans
-1 block frozen chopped spinach
-1/3 bag shredded cabbage (bag might say "coleslaw")
-1 can 28-oz diced tomatoes
-1 or 2 Cubes veggie bullion (my fave, Rapunzel, is not currently available)
-1 tbsp or so dried basil
-1 tbsp or so died parsley

TINY BIT OF WORK PART:
---CUT UP and also add:
-2 small or 1 large fresh Zuccini,
-1 carrot cut up
-Several sticks of Celery cut up. (for quick-easy get the bag of "celery sticks" and chop them)

Add lots more water. Fill up the pot to around 2/3 or so full. Add pepper and salt to taste. Be generous with the salt, you have a lot of water here. Start with maybe close to a tBsp, for large pot of soup, and add more if needed.

Let it cook a while. Then have a bowl or two and let it cook a while longer, and have some more. :)
IF you have lots of people to share it with, great. Otherwise, Put it in containers and store in fridge what you can eat within several days, and put the rest in freezer.

Yummy, thanks for sharing fiddlejen :). I'll be making it when Summer ends and it is a bit cooler here.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Inspired by fiddlejen's delicious soup recipe....

Specialized blenders are capable of transforming whole/sliced/diced veggies and condiments into hot soup served directly from mixing chamber. Vitamix or Beldtec units pricey but utilitarian with long service life. Had a Vitamix for more than a decade before dying, switched to less expensive but equally effective Blendtec. Some of my favorites are tortilla soup, tomato basil, and black bean. I'll toss in a Boca Burger or two for extra protein. Bonus of quick prep, easy cleanup!! Also makes awesome smoothies from frozen fruit. Distinction is time of blend as soups use friction from industrial strength motors and wide paddles to raise temperature over seven to ten minutes.

File image of before/after:

6ca8cb8b45a1ab775c593422af98d48e.jpg

I sure love my Vitamix. :). The initial costs are worth it because they last a LONG time. I've had less expensive brands before and burnt out a lot of motors or other parts that were not able to be replaced. I definitely spent more on multiple lesser quality blenders than the cost of my Vitamix in the long run.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I prefer the Vitamix to Blendtec and will purchase another when it fails. So far been going strong for about 5 years!

Most Reactions