Wheezing, or whistling sound coming from nostrals....

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I've been suspecting that my Ekkie has some allergies. There's a lot of pollen where I live right now. I could be wrong here as I am not a vet. He's been sneezing, and picking at his nostrals a lot with his claws. I've done my best to try to prevent this. However trying to argue with a parrot who wants their claws in their nostrals isn't an easy task. Now there is some wheezing, and whistling coming from his nostrals... Any ideas on how to help? Anyone else come across this? Nico is eating, drinking, and still acting like himself.

I will be contacting his vet tomorrow morning to see if we can't do his yearly exam a month early to get this checked out first thing.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Oh my.... Certainly sounds like allergies! WIshing you guys some good news at the vet visit :)

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
I've been suspecting that my Ekkie has some allergies. There's a lot of pollen where I live right now. I could be wrong here as I am not a vet. He's been sneezing, and picking at his nostrals a lot with his claws. I've done my best to try to prevent this. However trying to argue with a parrot who wants their claws in their nostrals isn't an easy task. Now there is some wheezing, and whistling coming from his nostrals... Any ideas on how to help? Anyone else come across this? Nico is eating, drinking, and still acting like himself.

I will be contacting his vet tomorrow morning to see if we can't do his yearly exam a month early to get this checked out first thing.
To me it sounds like a respiratory infection.
They’re super common in birds. My conure had a really bad one when I got her. I’d definitely get him to the vet as soon as possible so you can possibly catch it early.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would think more infection. Allergies are pretty rare in parrots.....had a science li k on thst ...someplace

The exception being macaws and some species being sensitive to powder down of 2s and other powder down species.

Electus are reported to need more vitamin A rich diets. And vitamin A is linked with respiratory health

Most Reactions