When an Amazon Pushes the Boundaries of Flight

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With a fully flighted Amazon using the air space within our home, one is allowed to see and feel the Physics of Flight on display. From highly skilled take-offs to unique landings, high-speed turns and the full cross-section of maneuvers. But, one is also allowed the opportunity to see what happens when they forget that although their skills are many, Physics places strong limits in place!

Our Julio loves to complete close-in flybys, which provides the target a wash (blast) of air that he had pressurized to support his flight. Commonly the events are to either the right of left of ones head and at most one may get touched by a wing tip.

Well, he pushed past a limit today as he past over the center of my head fractions of an inch above that caused his bubble of compressed air to wash over me and dissipate. Moments later, he loss about a half meter (about 20") of height prior to his regaining. No crash or other dangerous event, but he was talking-up a storm after he landed.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Amazing what a slight disturbance in the supporting air column can do. My girl Baxter has little interest in flight for the most part, but we're working on it. My ekkie however, lives for frequent fly bys. :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Merlin likes to do high speed flybys.
In naming him it was my intention to have a name that would complement Luna. You know magic and King Arther.
But perhaps I accidentally named him after a different Merlin engine from the P-51 Mustang🛫

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirby only flies if I’m not walking toward the food bowl or playstand fast enough - we’re working on it though, as his flight feathers are finally all in. He has definitely gotten braver about it.

Sammy on the other hand will sit there like she can’t fly at all until you ignore her for too long, and then suddenly you have a very large, very irate green chicken in your lap…

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Amy doesn't fly much, unless he's scared. Then he'll fly only a few feet. Beebs my 'Tiel, however, is just as you describe. He's incredibly skilled in the air and will buzz by my head close enough for me to feel the tips of his wings. I think he does it to display his version of dominance. Shortly afterward he's on my shoulder singing.

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have placed a fair amount of consideration as to whether the close in fly-bys are dominance inspired or just them showing-off or getting your attention regarding something you /we have forgotten. I'm going with the third one as Julio is either reminding me of any number of things that he thinks is very important (at least to him), but showing-off has real merit!

With Amy's heart issues, active flying would not be a great idea. But being able to fly a few feet to a semi-soft landing is great compared to the flies like a dropped rock any day!

Tiel's IMHO are just show-offs!! With their huge flight surface they come ready for showing-off!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)