Where can i rescue a parrot around Seattle?

lsavchuk

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
None yet!
Hey everybody, so here I am at 3 am browsing internet because I decided i want a birdie=)
After doing toons of research, few trips to local bird store, it seems that an african grey would be the perfect fit for me.
Being in college full time, I cannot spend 4 grand on a bird, so i was looking to adopt one! Good deed anyway!
Problem is, I can only find like one parrot shelther in my area, the one in vancouver.
You guys know of any shelthers in Seattle area?
Or if anyone is looking to rehome their grey, I would gladly consider taking it!
THanks in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, you are not going to like my reply as you are not a good candidate for a Parrot at this moment in your life. Parrots require extensive time and are rarely inexpensive.

When you finish College and have a full-time job in your field-of-study, you will be far more ready to take on the demands of adding a Parrot to your life. Some state that it is like adding a baby to your life.

I hope that you are studying in a field that is not filled with thousands of other applicants. The market is actively seeking those who have graduated with one of those demanding degrees in the Hard Sciences and not those from the Feel Good area.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Gotta agree with 'Boats here. Parrots in general are definitely not a inexpensive companion animal. Notice I did not call them pets. A cat, dog, fish and possibly a reptile are pets. These animals do not suffer if you need to spend most of the day away from the house or appt and only occasionally spend a full day at home with them. These animals will not inflict harm to themselves on purpose if you need to spend a week mostly cramming for a test. Parrots are 100% different. They need 1 on 1 human interaction every day, for several hours, especially with their chosen person (which might not be you FYI). Greys in particular are very prone to plucking and even self mutilation if their lives are not steady, well established and constant. As a student in college, can you say that about your life right now? Greys are super smart, smart enough to manipulate their owners and those also in the household, bending them to their likes and will. Kid you not.

'Boats advice is spot on. Waiting til you have graduated, found a position in your chosen field (and hopefully bought house, cuz parrots and Greys are LOUD) and even have found a S/O ( who is on board with the parrot thing). THat will make the odds of having a great, long lasting and satisfying relationship with a African Grey parrot much, much better.

OP
L

lsavchuk

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
None yet!
Sadly, you are not going to like my reply as you are not a good candidate for a Parrot at this moment in your life. Parrots require extensive time and are rarely inexpensive.

When you finish College and have a full-time job in your field-of-study, you will be far more ready to take on the demands of adding a Parrot to your life. Some state that it is like adding a baby to your life.

I hope that you are studying in a field that is not filled with thousands of other applicants. The market is actively seeking those who have graduated with one of those demanding degrees in the Hard Sciences and not those from the Feel Good area.
Well im studying from home so I could be with the bird all day:)
And I'm studying computer science

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I found this rescue that seems to be in the Greater Seattle area. They also allow volunteers to help, and perhaps that would be a good place to start. You could learn so many things there:)

https://www.goodfoxbirdiehaven.com/home

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum! Fantastic that found us and are doing your research!

Parrots are incredible amazing creatures and unlike any "pet" as shared already. For everything there is a price, living with parrot requires a lot of sacrifice to earn tge rewards. They are more like adopting a toddler. Requires many hours of your time, way more mess than you ever expected , a d often very loud vocalization ( especially to drown out your favorite TV program, important phone conversations! Lol they just know) and are prone to behavior issues if their intelligence, social, activity level, diet, chew destruction needs aren't met. For greys ( and many others) this can be feather destruction, screaming, bites, or withdrawal and cage bound.

Many things are toxic to them. Teflon and products with that in the non stick are deadly to them. As if yiu cook using nonstick ( a few are safe but requires much research) it will kill them in seconds. Thus deadly coating can be found in air frying, popcorn makers, non stick backing sheets, pots pans, irons and ironing boards are more. So most of use stainless steel, cast iron, and glass to cook with. Air fresheners and cleaning products, scentsed candles be dangerous as well. Fresh paint...

So its more about incorporating them in every aspect of your life. With a cage mostly just fir sleeping and when needed safety.

Last edited:

Most Reactions