Where in the cage should a quaker sleep?

BirdyMom

Sep 6, 2022
Parrots
Hope to have a Quaker
Hi,
We are hoping that a quaker will be joining our family. What should we be providing in the cage as a place for the birdy to sleep?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Just a wide variety of natural wood perches.
That's it. You don't need a hut or nest or anything.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Like all parrots, they find the place in the cage that they feel the safest in, and thats usually where they sleep. Or the warmest place, if its unusually cold in the cage. My Amazon sleeps next to his little cage heater year round (though its off during the summer and warmer months). Like Foxy there says, provide a wide variety of perch textures and diameters in the cage - NO dowel stick perches.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Parrots often will choose the highest perch to sleep on, so when setting up a cage, it's a good idea to place a comfortable one in the topmost position.

My QP Ralph usually sleeps on his highest perch, which is a softer fabric perch, but sometimes he changes up and chooses a lower one. Occasionally he decides to sleep on the cement perch that keeps his nails and beak in good shape. Not my idea of a comfortable place to sleep, but Ralph seems happy there.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on your soon to be family member :)

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Like all parrots, they find the place in the cage that they feel the safest in, and thats usually where they sleep. Or the warmest place, if its unusually cold in the cage. My Amazon sleeps next to his little cage heater year round (though its off during the summer and warmer months). Like Foxy there says, provide a wide variety of perch textures and diameters in the cage - NO dowel stick perches.
Could you share a little about the cage heater? Would be interested in one for Pancho heading into winter. Thank ya! 😃

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
We've got a serpentine rope perch she loves. She climbs to the highest point in the cage on it and sleeps there. We put a little pad on the side of the cage and she usually sleeps nestled up against that (we call it the "fluffy pillow" from a line at the end of her bedtime story book).

Most Reactions

Latest posts