Where to find nuts in-shell?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Years ago I saw them bagged and bulk at the grocery store but this year I couldnā€™t find them anywhere. I thought they would make good foraging objects for my birds if I cracked off a small piece of shell. Does anyone know where to find these? Do I need to mail order?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Nuts.com. Otherwise if you have a local parrot shop, they might sell these. My local shop sells almonds strung on wire for hanging in a cage.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Are nuts-in-shell now old-fashioned or something? Do people not eat these during winter holidays anymore? Or is this just that store. I havenā€™t bought these in some years but l donā€™t get why theyā€™d go away. ??

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Generally only around the holidays from what Iā€™ve see, at least in my area. More often I personally only see pistachios year round.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Today's World! If not ready to eat, the population is not interested. Cracking-open nuts and working to get at the nuts, now history with the exception of speciality nut organizations like stated above: Nuts.com.

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
My local grocery store has a surprisingly good selection of bagged nuts in the shell. I also found another grocery store about 15 miles away that has huge bins of loose assorted nuts in the shell. Most of the bagged nuts from the local store cost about $10.00 per pound. The other store with the loose nuts in the bins is a little bit cheaper. Costco also has a decent selection of shelled nuts.
I've bought from nuts.com also.
I'm in NY .

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I finally ordered some nuts from ā€œNuts.comā€ and will be getting them tomorrow.

Iā€™m planning on opening the shell a little bit and leaving the kernel for the birds to slowly pick out.

Of course I will eat some of them as well.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Was thinking about the bird-safe Christmas decorations , too. You could make guilded walnuts to hang on the tree along with the popcorn and cranberry wreaths.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Today's World! If not ready to eat, the population is not interested. Cracking-open nuts and working to get at the nuts, now history with the exception of speciality nut organizations like stated above: Nuts.com.

And today, my local Food Store had bagged nuts with a great variety of quality shelled nuts!! I guess that interests still exist, it just has become more timeline specific.

Most Reactions

Latest posts