Which Behavior to Encourage as Babies

Turvid

Nov 1, 2021
Parrots
Pico - 2 Month Old Solomon Island Eclectus
Hello,

I've recently entered the process of getting a baby male Eclectus. The situation is that the store where I'm getting him from hatches the babies and takes care of them for several months before they can be taken home. I'm in that phase now, my Eclectus turned 2 months old last week. I was wondering what kinds of behaviors I should encourage in him at this point in time.
I've been going to the store multiple times a week so that he can get used to me, he seems pretty comfortable with me so far and the people at the store say he looks content when he's with me. I'm not dealing with any screaming, he usually stays in one spot when I'm with him and will look around at things. He also will close his eyes and "nap" for short moments when he's with me, and is comfortable with touching his beak.

He does seem a bit nervous when stepping up onto someone's hand (he hasn't been trained for this because he's so young) and will also try to climb higher on me when I'm holding him and moving. Is there anything I can do to make him less nervous in stepping up, and more comfortable as I move with him on my arm?
I'd also like him to be personable as there are other people in my home and I want him to be comfortable around new people. What can I do to help him in this?

I want to make sure his transition from the store to his new home will be the least stressful it can be.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Warm welcome to you and your baby bird. This is certainly exciting, please share a photo of him.

I am happy to hear of your loving concerns for your little baby bird. I have also thought of the same issues at that time. So I will share with you Emerald'story. Our family had decided to let her lead when it comes to weaning. Our breader tought us how to hand feed her with a syringe. It was bonding and came in very useful when we take her home. Helps with stress reducing and trust building. She took her weaning super slow, but we thought why should we hurry? So we continue to hand feed her every evening after we take her home. After months of weaning, we even hand feed her the night before taking her with us on our family's vacation trip, to reduce stress. She loves it so much, her eyes lighted up in excitement when someone pick up a syringe and talk to her. When she got a flu, my vet also recommended feeding her with baby bird food (with syringe, Kaytee/Exact) after giving her medicine. Thus, I think trying hand feeding is very very helpful.

I thought this horror story might be a good to know thing, so you can prevent this wing clipping routine from happening to him. Sadly, we recently heard that a baby bird's wings were clipped by the store, despite written order not to do so. It was done by mistake since that store did it in routine. But It truly damaged both psychologically as well as the baby's chance to develop muscle properly. Baby bird loose trust during wing clipping. And the muscle also would not get any chance to develop until the wing grow back. From our experience, baby birds learn to perfect their flight easily in months. But wing clipped adult birds who never knew how to fly from the beginning, took years to learn and still had trouble with landing.

Hope this help

Most Reactions