Which hairdryer?

minko

Apr 14, 2019
Hello!
I would like to buy a hairdryer.It would be nice if it is wouldnt be too expensive. Can you recommend me some?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
May I ask for what purpose? Personal use or to help dry a bird following bath/shower?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Conair hair dryers and no ion function as they don't use PTFE coating on elements. I go into more details with models later.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I got this one: INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR 1875 Watt Ion Choice Hair Dryer

I chose it because Conair doesn't use teflon in their hairdryer, and it has controls for heat, power AND turning the ionizer off. I found that a LOT of hairdryers that don't say they are ion dryers actually are. I've read that the Ion hair dryers are potentially dangerous for our fids.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb and I share an ancient Conair, and all has remained well.
Good for you for investigating and reminding us of the importance of hidden dangers like dryers and such.
:)

simmon

Apr 15, 2019
I've recently bought a Dyson Supersonic to be exact this model here https://productz.com/en/dyson-supersonic-hair-dryer - and I would never give it back. I have never got my hair dry so fast. And the hairdryer is finally not as hot as the other ones I had before. My scalp is very sensitive so I had to buy a hairdryer that doesn't do additional damage... The handling is really good too. Only the price is a little bit heavy and will deter many people from buying it. I personally do not regret a single penny.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)

I chose it because Conair doesn't use teflon in their hairdryer, and it has controls for heat, power AND turning the ionizer off. I found that a LOT of hairdryers that don't say they are ion dryers actually are. I've read that the Ion hair dryers are potentially dangerous for our fids.

We've the same one in Orange, and neither fid shows any adverse affects to being blown-dried with it in winter weather right after bathing.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
I've recently bought a Dyson Supersonic to be exact this model here https://productz.com/en/dyson-supersonic-hair-dryer - and I would never give it back. I have never got my hair dry so fast. And the hairdryer is finally not as hot as the other ones I had before. My scalp is very sensitive so I had to buy a hairdryer that doesn't do additional damage... The handling is really good too. Only the price is a little bit heavy and will deter many people from buying it. I personally do not regret a single penny.

I believe the Dyson has an Ion function that cannot be disabled.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Ion generators in air purifiers are not good for their health.
I think it was a discussion here on air cleaners / purifiers.

CheasterRobson

Jan 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgerigar
I have 4с hair, does anyone know where you can buy a hair dryer for this type of hair? And how should I take care of such hair?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I got a Conair Yellow Bird off Amazon, made specifically for birds and pets. No bad stuff in it. My two fid's seem to like it. Not e3xspensive..40 bux. I read reviews on it. A woman stated that when she uses it on her own hair her cockatiel gets so excited that when he hears it he flies into the bathroom and lands on her shoulder to get blown..I thought that was hilarious lol.

Jim

Last edited:

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
I believe the Dyson has an Ion function that cannot be disabled.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Ion generators in air purifiers are not good for their health.
I think it was a discussion here on air cleaners / purifiers.
Oh no! I read several times that Dyson uses Teflon in their hair dryers! I was so so shocked…a lot of people don’t realize this bc it’s such a high end item and we associate Teflon with low quality products…I’ve seen tik told of ppl drying birds with it 😱😱😱
I even contacted their customer support and they confirmed that many of their products use Teflon. I believe the Airwrap does not, however 🤷‍♀️
I was also in the market for a new dryer since I found out about ions. I just bought the Conair Ion Choice …

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
Oh no! I read several times that Dyson uses Teflon in their hair dryers! I was so so shocked…a lot of people don’t realize this bc it’s such a high end item and we associate Teflon with low quality products…I’ve seen tik told of ppl drying birds with it 😱😱😱
I even contacted their customer support and they confirmed that many of their products use Teflon. I believe the Airwrap does not, however 🤷‍♀️
Iv
sorry I meant to reply to this post, I know it’s old but… Dyson dryers are confirmed to have Teflon 😬
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🤗

WildCrowBoy

Apr 25, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure

Hello and thank you!
The 1875 appears to have caused no issues for your bird? Teflon also an important consideration. ConAir actually confirmed that their hair dryers are Teflon free? Thanks again!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello and thank you!
The 1875 appears to have caused no issues for your bird? Teflon also an important consideration. ConAir actually confirmed that their hair dryers are Teflon free? Thanks again!!
Why on earth do they put Teflon in blowdriers? It's not like something's gonna stick in there! Just one more thing we have to worry about for our birds. Jeez!

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Why on earth do they put Teflon in blowdriers? It's not like something's gonna stick in there! Just one more thing we have to worry about for our birds. Jeez!
Many professional stylist use the hair dryers in an environment where there is a lot of hair spray in the air. This is a guess, but perhaps the Teflon would minimize any spray from sticking to internal parts.
Either way we always have to be careful.
BTW, we checked on a Dyson heater that we use in emergency situations, and when questioned, they have stated in writing that no Teflon is contained in the heater. We were very glad to hear that. We've used the heater on numerous occasions with no ill affects to Arika.

Most Reactions

Latest posts