Which is the best treat for taming???

Spenner

Jun 4, 2012
Media
Yorkshire, England
Parrots
Rock Pebbler
I have recently bought a Golden-Mantled Rosella and was wondering what treat would be best for taming/teaching???
My Rosella (Banjo) seems to pick out the sunflower seeds from his seed mix so should i try to take them out myself and keep them aside as a reward or find something else that isnt in his usual food mix????

:confused:

odge

Jun 4, 2012
New Zealand
Parrots
cockatiels, 3 alexandrines and 2 congo african greys.
You can probably buy hulled sunflower seeds from either a pet shop or a health food shop (maybe even a supermarket). Hulled is better for training because otherwise you will be waiting for ages whilst Banjo hulls the seed and then eats it (and maybe gets bored with the training in the process).

OP
Spenner

Spenner

Jun 4, 2012
Media
Yorkshire, England
Parrots
Rock Pebbler
But would i make less progress with him being able to access the seed from his own stash rather than earning it????

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Another good treat is Millet Sprays... Just break a few off the stems.. most Birds seem to like this :)

Also, Welcome to the Forum :)

odge

Jun 4, 2012
New Zealand
Parrots
cockatiels, 3 alexandrines and 2 congo african greys.
It's best to train when the bird is a bit hungry like in the morning before you have given him breakfast or before he has his evening feed.

Our alex's love sunflower seeds and will take as many as they can get (remember they are high in fat content) so the seed mix we use has a few sunflower seeds not a heap and that way they are great for training.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I think it would depend on your bird, what does he really really like that he gets limited on? Once you find that out use that for his treats.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
It would likely be a good idea to replace your seed mix with a sunflower free varity, they are quite fattening. Using them as treats should not be problematic.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
sunflower seeds should be fine as long as he doesnt get over them if theyre in his foods, i personally use walnuts and almonds because my bird doesn't like millet :( -though you might want to break them up into smaller pieces for a rosella. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts