Which Macaw is this feather from?

LadyJemima

Oct 24, 2014
I was given two parrot feathers from a parrot store, and I remember the owner telling me that you could identify the species by the coloration of the back of the feather. But now I can't remember which species she gave me! The feather is a gorgeous blue-green on the front, and red on the back with just a tinge of yellow. I am not familiar with all of the Macaw species. I think it is too teal to be a Scarlet. Other than Scarlet and Harlequin (which I don't think she had), I swear every Macaw I've looked up has yellow underwings...

Sorry for the poor lighting!

MacawFeather_zpsjddjwahu.jpg Photo by ajp2487 | Photobucket

P.s. Also seeking to ID this feather: Conure?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I was given two parrot feathers from a parrot store, and I remember the owner telling me that you could identify the species by the coloration of the back of the feather. But now I can't remember which species she gave me! The feather is a gorgeous blue-green on the front, and red on the back with just a tinge of yellow. I am not familiar with all of the Macaw species. I think it is too teal to be a Scarlet. Other than Scarlet and Harlequin (which I don't think she had), I swear every Macaw I've looked up has yellow underwings...

Sorry for the poor lighting!

MacawFeather_zpsjddjwahu.jpg Photo by ajp2487 | Photobucket

P.s. Also seeking to ID this feather: Conure?

FYI: Not a complaint, only a request. When presenting feathers for classification it helps if there is something (like a tape measure) to provide a guide to it /their size.

Regarding the MAC feathers, the downy base has me 'guessing' that the feathers are secondary (support) tail feathers, which sit above or below the actual tail feathers.

Regarding the third feather, guessing at size, it appears to be from an Amazon.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
The third feather is undoubtedly 100% from an amazon, and I am almost certain it's a tail feather. They all have fairly similar tail feathers, so knowing exact amazon species would be next to impossible to tell.

l'll let the macaw people answer as to the first feather. I'm sure someone will see it and 'know' exactly what bird it came from and what part of the body;)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I agree...the third feather is definitely an Amazon. What species? No way to tell I don't think. I'm not a Mac guy,so I have no clue on the first two feathers.

Jim

OP
L

LadyJemima

Oct 24, 2014
I had posted in the General forum about the Amazon feather, and I think we ID'd it as a Blue-fronted. Which, for my purposes of education, is close enough. :)

I also just got an ID on the Macaw -- it's a Green-wing. :green1:

And thanks for the tip about the ruler!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I had posted in the General forum about the Amazon feather, and I think we ID'd it as a Blue-fronted. Which, for my purposes of education, is close enough. :)

I also just got an ID on the Macaw -- it's a Green-wing. :green1:

And thanks for the tip about the ruler!

Regarding the Amazon feather. I'm going to place my vote with my fellow Amazon Parronts regarding the tail feather being at best difficult to define which Amazon. Our DYN Amazon has a couple of tail feathers that are very close in coloration pattern as the feather you presented.

DYH Amazon's with the exception of the vast amount of Yellow on the head and neck feathering are pretty much just Green until they Present (fully flash) their wing and tail feathers. At that point they blaze in color. In a full Hormonal Presentation any of the 'Hot Three' Amazons can be very intimidating and at the same time, a true wonder to see, as their coloration is fully on displayed!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well judging by the spread of chromataphores on barbs # 17 and 18, the presence of Johnson's schpilcus on the phalanges, and the interconnectivity of endothermous I would say this the feather of..... the common pigeon spray painted green !

Sounded good , anyway. I have no idea - other then they came from a bird!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well judging by the spread of chromataphores on barbs # 17 and 18, the presence of Johnson's schpilcus on the phalanges, and the interconnectivity of endothermous I would say this the feather of..... the common pigeon spray painted green !

Sounded good , anyway. I have no idea - other then they came from a bird!

Near uncontrolled LMAO isms!!! Thanks Wrench, Needed That One!!!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Greenwing for the 2 feathers

Most Reactions

Latest posts