Who ACTUALLY Eats As Healthily As Their Birds ???

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I ought to eat more like my birds.

I have started to snack on sweets again and have gained some weight. I really need to stop doing that because sugar is so bad for you, especially if you donā€™t get enough exercise.

I wonder if thereā€™s some way I can trick myself into eating healthy? I used to eat very very carefully.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo
from The Best Light Recipe

3/4 cup half and half
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon cornstarch
9 oz fresh fettuccine
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated fine (about 1 cup)
ground black pepper

In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the boiling water into the bowls youā€™ll be using to serve the pasta and set aside (the boiling water warms the bowls which will help the sauce keep a creamy consistency for as long as possible).

Meanwhile, add 1/2 cup of the half and half, the nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small measuring cup, whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup of half and half until smooth. Add to the simmering sauce. Continue simmering, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cover.

Add the remaining tablespoon of salt and the pasta to the boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until the pasta is just al dente, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta.

Set the saucepan back on the stovetop. Turn the heat to medium-low, and whisk in 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Gradually add the Parmesan, whisking constantly to incorporate, until the sauce is smooth. Add the pasta and cook for about 1 minute , or until the sauce thickens slightly and coats the pasta. (If necessary, you can add some of the remaining 1/4 cup pasta water to adjust the consistency of the sauce.) Season to taste with with black pepper. Working quickly, empty the water from the serving bowls and divide the pasta among them to serve. (This dish is best served immediately, and doesnā€™t reheat well.)
Yum this looks good. Nutmeg in alfredo sauce- sounds like a secret ingredient.
The head chef at an Italian restaurant where I used to work gave me these tips for cooking alfredo.
*always use white pepper, not black.
*cook it low and slow, several hours on the stovetop.

Now hereā€™s an alternative recipe to try and adjust according to personal taste. It used cauliflower and chicken broth instead of a cream base for a reduced guilt but still creamy and flavorful sauce. Cauliflower is so versatile!

Most Reactions