Why is my female budgie bigger than male budgie ? Why is there a size difference between the two ?

Dua Asim

Aug 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
I have two green budgies. I've named them Evie and Pocono .
Hey guys. I've been curious why my female budgie is bigger in size than male budgie ? She is completely healthy, she plays a lot, chirp and sing and even eats a lot. Same for male one. His name is Evie. He also sings a lot. But he sometimes (less often) vomits he sings a lot and eat well and also plays a lot. My question is why my Evie (male budgie) is smaller in size than poco ? (Female budgie ). ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š
IMG_20231107_124713.jpg
hie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey guys. I've been curious why my female budgie is bigger in size than male budgie ? She is completely healthy, she plays a lot, chirp and sing and even eats a lot. Same for male one. His name is Evie. He also sings a lot. But he sometimes (less often) vomits he sings a lot and eat well and also plays a lot. My question is why my Evie (male budgie) is smaller in size than poco ? (Female budgie ). ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š
View attachment 55980hie
She may have some English Budgie blood which would make her larger than a standard sized budgie. My female Rocky is half English Budgie and she's about 1/4 larger than her cagemate male. Rocky's mother Lilibelle was pure English and was HUGE at 65 grams (most regular budgies are about 30 grams). Rocky's father Buddy was a regular sized budgie. When Buddy first met Lilibelle, I had to laugh because I swear he looked at her sideways with his eyes popping open! His former girlfriend was a bit smaller than him. Buddy was a real lover boy and I suspected they would eventually try to breed as Buddy had tried with his former galpal, but she never laid eggs. I laughed when he got an eyeful of Lilibelle and said "don't worry Buddy, she'll be in the bottom!" It only took a couple months before Buddy and Lilibelle were happily doing the Humpty Dance.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
View attachment 55980hie
Like Donna said above, budgies can vary in size from about 30 grams to 60 grams so I wouldn't stress about that.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
There really is no "normal" size for budgies. Even the common pet ones (Australian/American) are bigger than actual wild budgies, and vary greatly in size due to all sorts of reasons. Then you get mixed English and pure English which adds further size differences. As long as your bird is the correct weight (not fat, not skinny) going off body condition, not weight, they're a normal size. Why they're that size you cannot know without knowing their parentage.

OP
Dua Asim

Dua Asim

Aug 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
She may have some English Budgie blood which would make her larger than a standard sized budgie. My female Rocky is half English Budgie and she's about 1/4 larger than her cagemate male. Rocky's mother Lilibelle was pure English and was HUGE at 65 grams (most regular budgies are about 30 grams). Rocky's father Buddy was a regular sized budgie. When Buddy first met Lilibelle, I had to laugh because I swear he looked at her sideways with his eyes popping open! His former girlfriend was a bit smaller than him. Buddy was a real lover boy and I suspected they would eventually try to breed as Buddy had tried with his former galpal, but she never laid eggs. I laughed when he got an eyeful of Lilibelle and said "don't worry Buddy, she'll be in the bottom!" It only took a couple months before Buddy and Lilibelle were happily doing the Humpty Dance.
Thank you for telling and clearing my doubts about size difference between budgies. . I'm glad there's nothing to worry about size difference now. My Evie is same like your buddy. He is also lover and romantic bird .๐Ÿ’ž I'm thinking to bringing him a new girlfriend because pocono sometimes acts rude and she also fights Evie a lot.

OP
Dua Asim

Dua Asim

Aug 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
There really is no "normal" size for budgies. Even the common pet ones (Australian/American) are bigger than actual wild budgies, and vary greatly in size due to all sorts of reasons. Then you get mixed English and pure English which adds further size differences. As long as your bird is the correct weight (not fat, not skinny) going off body condition, not weight, they're a normal size. Why they're that size you cannot know without knowing their parentage.
Wow now I understand I've been so curious about there size difference glad you all make it clear for me.

OP
Dua Asim

Dua Asim

Aug 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Like Donna said above, budgies can vary in size from about 30 grams to 60 grams so I wouldn't stress about that.
Woah. I didn't know that. thank you for telling โœจ Thanks God it's not something to stress about. Both are healthy and happy and also playful.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had to go to missouri for a funeral, (live in minnesota now) and stopped by a pet store, the budgies looked huge to me! Climate, diet, that section of breeders hundreds of miles away from my local breeders. I'm not exact but they looked almost twice as large at that pet shop the the ones I adopted/rehomed in MN. I didn't buy any but they would have bee kings and queens around my flock. I think it's just cross breeding and trying to make a bigger bird.

OP
Dua Asim

Dua Asim

Aug 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
I had to go to missouri for a funeral, (live in minnesota now) and stopped by a pet store, the budgies looked huge to me! Climate, diet, that section of breeders hundreds of miles away from my local breeders. I'm not exact but they looked almost twice as large at that pet shop the the ones I adopted/rehomed in MN. I didn't buy any but they would have bee kings and queens around my flock. I think it's just cross breeding and trying to make a bigger bird.
I understood your point very well. Thank you for clearing my doubts.

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
View attachment 55980hie
She reminds me of my female budgie I once had , she was also very big in size as compared to my other budgies and itโ€™s nothing to worry about and trust me , you r going to have really cute big sized babies if they lay eggs ๐Ÿคฉ

Most Reactions