Will my sun conure catch hypomania?

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure
My sun conure is 4-5 months old, and I just bought it from the pet store. I let it out of it cage and soon it was raining quite hard. It flew outside to play with the rain, luckily it stopped after a while. From what I researched, they might catch hypomania. Can anybody tell me if it will be safe or not?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
what is the outside temperature? A little rain never hurt any bird. If it's raining and it came back in after a cool bath.....(birds prefer cooler water for baths for some reason) then I think your fine.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Actually the downside is the cold wet bird is gonna wanna snuggle and rub against you which means you might get it. They are quite snuggly after a bath.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I agree - your Conure should be okay. As long as they're not left in a draft, it is not overly cold outside and they're not shivering, you should be okay. :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,

I’ve got a couple of questions. I am worried about your bird flying away if he’s loose outdoors and wondering if he is indeed flying loose outdoors. Are his wings clipped? Has he been carefully taught to return to you?

And also are you worried about him catching pneumonia? I think that’s what you mean.

Birds aren’t really that fragile but if he got really cold and couldn’t dry off that would be a problem. I really don’t think you will “catch pneumonia “ from your bird. I am more worried about him flying away and getting lost or getting attacked by a cat or dog. I would not let my bird fly around outside for any amount of money.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I put my sun in my backyard in a mild rain when he was 4-5 months old. He went on the top of my head, letting out a scream, and flew straight into my neighbor's backyard at a speed so fast that a clipped conure shouldn't be able to. He was clipped. He didn't like the rain and it startled him.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I put my sun in my backyard in a mild rain when he was 4-5 months old. He went on the top of my head, letting out a scream, and flew straight into my neighbor's backyard at a speed so fast that a clipped conure shouldn't be able to. He was clipped. He didn't like the rain and it startled him.
I though, years ago, that the rain would be a nice natural bath for my blind old conure. It scared him just like you’re saying. He would rather have a shower in the bathtub!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yes. Please be careful. Just recently my bird escaped because I forgot to close the cage door while he was outside:( It's not a nice feeling and I do not wish that anyone else goes through it.

As for the original question, no. I doubt it. Usually, hypmania in humans is cause by psychological issues/damage. I don't think a few seconds in the rain will harm him. How old is your bird?

OP
L

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure
what is the outside temperature? A little rain never hurt any bird. If it's raining and it came back in after a cool bath.....(birds prefer cooler water for baths for some reason) then I think your fine.
The weather is kind of hot so I think it might be ok, thank you

OP
L

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure
Yes. Please be careful. Just recently my bird escaped because I forgot to close the cage door while he was outside:( It's not a nice feeling and I do not wish that anyone else goes through it.

As for the original question, no. I doubt it. Usually, hypmania in humans is cause by psychological issues/damage. I don't think a few seconds in the rain will harm him. How old is your bird?
4-5 months old 🙂
Hi,

I’ve got a couple of questions. I am worried about your bird flying away if he’s loose outdoors and wondering if he is indeed flying loose outdoors. Are his wings clipped? Has he been carefully taught to return to you?

And also are you worried about him catching pneumonia? I think that’s what you mean.

Birds aren’t really that fragile but if he got really cold and couldn’t dry off that would be a problem. I really don’t think you will “catch pneumonia “ from your bird. I am more worried about him flying away and getting lost or getting attacked by a cat or dog. I would not let my bird fly around outside for any amount of money.
Hi! It’s well taught. It would normally fly on my arms whenever I call it. We don’t clip it’s wings as we want it to enjoy the nature outside, it only flies around the house and inside as we always keep an eye on it. Thank you.

OP
L

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure
I though, years ago, that the rain would be a nice natural bath for my blind old conure. It scared him just like you’re saying. He would rather have a shower in the bathtub!
Same! Well my Sun conure is kind of scared of baths, so it would rather bath in the rain even if it’s afraid 😂

OP
L

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure

It is well taught, we actually let it out of its cage most of the time and keep an eye on it. It came back every time. Thank you

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Same! Well my Sun conure is kind of scared of baths, so it would rather bath in the rain even if it’s afraid 😂
my sun was afraid of baths initially too. what i did to make him get used to it was using a fine mist spray bottle. put his cage under the sun and spray him. he got used to it and started to like baths

OP
L

Lucky_Parrot

May 24, 2022
Parrots
A sun conure

I think my bird is a year old as the color is very pretty

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
WARNING - even a clipped parrot will find new found flight capabilities if they are startled, scared or are trying to escape a predator that you don't see. My Salty gets a light clip 2X a year and even with that, will fly the full length of our house when he wants to. In fact, I had him on my shoulder last weekend and in his Aviator harness, when I got my car washed. He got startled by the bright red car coming out from the car wash, and had I not had him in his harness, I'd still be looking for him, he took off with a rush of feathers. Even flight recall trained parrots can get terribly startled by something and fly off, never to be seen again.

mochi.the.ysgcc

Jan 2, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Parrots
Yellow sided green cheek conure
4-5 months old 🙂

Hi! It’s well taught. It would normally fly on my arms whenever I call it. We don’t clip it’s wings as we want it to enjoy the nature outside, it only flies around the house and inside as we always keep an eye on it. Thank you.
Just please take the time to do some Target training with him. It takes A LOT of time and effort to train your bird to “free fly”. Yes birds will stay on you when outside and fly to you when called, but you never know -one little noise or a hawk in the sky can and will trigger your birds “flight” instincts. That’s how so many people loose their birds. I say this with the utmost respect as I’m not putting you down. We’re all here to learn things. I’m only concerned of the welfare of your bird being outside without a harness or free flight training. Please be careful-you may not be so lucky next time. If he’s young, now’s the time to get him used to a harness. I wish you and your bird a very safe and happy lifetime together!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts