Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Electric cords and parrots. Why are they so interested in them? They seem to be a magnet for curious beaks, but BEWARE! A quick illustration - Saltys cage is against a wall where there is a electrical outlet, and all the things for his cage are plugged in there; floor heater, overhead natural light, a heating pad for the really chilly nights and his bathing fountain. He likes to climb around on top of his cage and he goes between the wall and the cage, and then slide down the leg of the cage to the shelf under it, where he had access to the cords and electrical outlet. I was cleaning it up awhile ago and when I unplugged the extension cord, I saw he had actually chewed right thru the insulation and BARE COPPER was exposed!! I was shocked that he had not fried himself in doing this and I said a small prayer to the Big Macaw in the sky that he had not. Checking on line, I found on Amazon these big covers that enclose the whole outlet, plate and all, link below. I installed this and also what are known as cable raceways that hold all the wires coming from the outlet.

Moral of the story - periodically carefully check electrical cords your parrot might have access to, and even ones you think they don't, lest you have fried parrot on the menu, or worse, a fire started by a short from them chewing on the wires.

Outlet cover
https://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Electrical-2-Piece-Outlet-Cover/dp/B07CL2Z1XM/ref=pd_ybh_a_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5C9KE6ANTZNWKG350GG1

71c2lwjT8ML._SL1500_.jpg

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Great reminder - and a great solution, I will purchase a couple of those. I always try to put things in front of the outlets to deter that behavior, but that is a way better idea. Thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The very smooth surface and the die separation agent in release and continues mold operations has a mid sweet /sour flavor and for Parrots and animals they are drawn to it.

Great solution and reminder good friend.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am just here to compliment that ridiculously chuckle-worthy "wire" pun lol!!!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Touch 'e!

Don't buy insolate to the idea; your parrot won't strand a chance if they decide to chew. It's hard to gauge the attraction, so be receptacle to new ideas! Make sure you give them an outlet for their chewing. If you love your parrot watts and watts, make sure to keep them safe! You can get these covers online or at Ohm Depot.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Touch 'e!

Don't buy insolate to the idea; your parrot won't strand a chance if they decide to chew. It's hard to gauge the attraction, so be receptacle to new ideas! Make sure you give them an outlet for their chewing. If you love your parrot watts and watts, make sure to keep them safe! You can get these covers online or at Ohm Depot.

:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40

Most Reactions

Latest posts