Wondering what birds go best with budgies in an aviary

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
different species of finch are okay together but dont put finches with parrots/budgies
You can keep finches with parrots, I've kept finches with a variety of Neophema grass parrots for years without issue. I had budgies with finches for a number of years too but I only ever kept them with larger finches like Zebs, Gouldians in a decent aviary. Only 1 pair of budgies with a variety of finches is the best choice, I wouldn't generally recommend keeping multiple pairs of budgies with finches but it has been done before with good success on both behalf . Never any issues and all bred well.

Just be careful with different finch species together as some can hybridize, in fact its illegal to deliberately hybridize finches in Aus

Zhin

Jan 5, 2021
You can keep finches with parrots, I've kept finches with a variety of Neophema grass parrots for years without issue. I had budgies with finches for a number of years too but I only ever kept them with larger finches like Zebs, Gouldians in a decent aviary. Only 1 pair of budgies with a variety of finches is the best choice, I wouldn't generally recommend keeping multiple pairs of budgies with finches but it has been done before with good success on both behalf . Never any issues and all bred well.

Just be careful with different finch species together as some can hybridize, in fact its illegal to deliberately hybridize finches in Aus
about, hybridized Finches , are eggs sterile or something? i have learned about lovebirds alot here and on othersites as well, i still think those Gouldians are something out of this world.. how is that possible!??

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Eggs are fertile in pretty much all finch hybrids, the main difference is whether the hybrid offspring are fertile or not. Usually its within the same family where the offspring are fertile such as members of the Lonchura family all will readily hybridise together and offspring are fertile birds. Fertile or not, hybrids should be avoided at all costs

Most Reactions

Latest posts