Wooden Untreated Dowel DIY Perches?

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Sassy - 8 Year old cockatoo
Guaco - 8 month Greencheek (Pineapple)
Hi all!

I'm not fond of what i've read online and in books about perches you can find in pet stores sold to the general public; grit and sand perches, plastic perches, perches that are perfectly lined, perches that are toxic, perches that are too thin.

Being a big DIYER i'm a big fan of making my own perches, I read online that dowels are a big no-no because they're flat and round all the way through which causes blood clottage and bird foot arthritis. Here's the question at heart.

If I were to use a file, filed the dowel creating bumps, hiccups and shredded the dowel so that it is not perfectly round all the way through and has different diameters, would it be safe?

Thanks again, Matt.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You never want them to be uniform---create texture---if not, you can end up with bumble-foot. Generally, you want their toes to wrap around and almost touch --but a few centimetres from touching- that having been said, narrower and wider areas on the same perch are recommended. Always make sure the tree you get the wood from is non-toxic and then make sure that it hasn't been blasted or treated with chemicals.

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
You never want them to be uniform---create texture---if not, you can end up with bumble-foot. Generally, you want their toes to wrap around and almost touch --but a few centimetres from touching- that having been said, narrower and wider areas on the same perch are recommended. Always make sure the tree you get the wood from is non-toxic and then make sure that it hasn't been blasted or treated with chemicals.

How much easier would life be if pet stores knew what they were selling? Haha:rolleyes:

I only buy untreated wood from home-depot and I make sure its not blasted!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Yep, I've heard of folks doing exactly that - bumping and scruffing up a dowel perch. Haven't tried it myself, but feel free so long as the overall soundness of the perch isn't affected. I'd just make sure you sand it down nicely to avoid any potential splinters.

Another thing some folks like to do is toss vet wrap on there and layer different areas differently. Of course, you'll have to replace the vet wrap when it gets dirty, but it's another way to spice things up.

OP
M

Matt_Sassy

May 16, 2020
Sarasota
Parrots
Yep, I've heard of folks doing exactly that - bumping and scruffing up a dowel perch. Haven't tried it myself, but feel free so long as the overall soundness of the perch isn't affected. I'd just make sure you sand it down nicely to avoid any potential splinters.

Another thing some folks like to do is toss vet wrap on there and layer different areas differently. Of course, you'll have to replace the vet wrap when it gets dirty, but it's another way to spice things up.

Thats not a bad idea either.

Most Reactions