Yellow naped Amazon attacking

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
:orange:Yellow napes amazon biting bad out of the blue when your holding it just fine he is 4 years old he was fine and let’s you hold him then he just attacks after about 20 min being out some help please.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I am NO amazon expert but it sounds like his body language is being ignored. What does he do before the biting? Do you have him on a stand, on your shoulder, etc? These guys are very intelligent, and how do I put it... prideful creatures that demand respect and will let you know about it if you do something wrong to upset them. It is never the fault of the bird. Hopefully our Amazon experts can chime in here!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The information provide above is excellent and is well worth knowing and using!

With in the Amazon Forum, there are two Highlighted (in Light Blue) Threads at the top of the Page: Please read the first Thread, which provides a Base Understanding of Amazons Body Language! You're four year old Amazon has begun using these 'Hardwired' Body Language signals and you will do well to learn them.

The common recommendation is to set with or next to your Amazon and Reading that Thread Out Loud to your Amazon in a pleasant voice. Read it several times each day and then switch to reading it several times a week. At the Point, that these basic are well understood by you! You will begin seeing that your has been Amazon using them.

The other Thread is Titled: I Love Amazons - ... and it is a huge Thread that provides the basics regarding Love and Living with Amazons!

Take great care that your Amazon is getting a proper amount of good, quiet sleep in a dark room.

As so well stated in the above Post, Amazons are very intelligent and you need to assure that you understand their Language! And, yes: prideful creatures! If you do not respect their language and warnings, they are more than willing to let you know that you have crossed a line. And, as you can see, that is provided with a painful bit!

Read those Threads and others within the Amazon Forum, there is a wealth of knowledge available. Keep coming back with questions!

Enjoy: Amazon's Rule! Being Loved by an Amazon is an Achievement that is well worth the effort!

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Look when I was 13 years old I had a rehomed bf Amazon’s I’m not an expert I’ve read the amazon page this bird is mean he took too my nine year old son pretty well. The last episode he bit my son now I went too get raider of my son he really got me bad then he jumped on my friends back and tried to bite him I had too get him with a towel and put him in the cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I see nowhere in your list of Parrots a Yellow Nape. I assume that you have added the YNA recently!?!

A couple of basics regarding understanding Parrots. I realize that with your extensive back-ground with Parrots, this maybe know, but just in case:

- It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human!
- It is NEVER the fault of the Parrot!

When we Humans switch to viewing interactions from this vantage point, we more quickly see what we are doing wrong and can correcting it.

I'm not sure what you are asking of us.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
For starters how long have you had this amazon? There's a lot that can be concluded knowing whether this is a bird you've had for 4 years or 4 days.

is he mean? Or is he defending himself? Not to be confrontational but how many stories can you read on this forum alone of the "big mean vicious bird who attacks everyone" suddenly jumping into the arms of a caring person? If you approach them like they're mean then yeah they probably will be ready to strike because they can sense you are tense. Just an idea of maybe approaching with a different outlook on the behavior that rather than biting for the sake of biting there is most likely a reason.

Sailboats is right (though I slightly alter the statement), it isn't his fault he was made to bite by some outside stimuli. Be it fear, frustration, overzealous play or in some cases biting you to make you run away from a perceived threat. There's so many reasons a bird will bite but for the sole act of inflicting pain is going to be the least likely reason.

How much do you know of this bird? Like I say you haven't stated how long you've had him, was he given to you recently by someone? If so he could have been abused by a previous owner and now be terrified of people making ready to bite because he thinks he's about to get hit by someone.

Also remember that he is 4 years old which is when sexual maturity begins and we are currently in the middle of baby making season so he has a pile of hormones flooding his system most likely making him go crazy, think of how moody humans get during the teen years.

The advice I can give is merely, only touch his head and neck nowhere else, make sure his dark night time is upped to 12 or 14 hours a night, cut all fatty foods, re-arrange his cage, give him some new foraging toys, get him flying and exercising to burn off his energy, when company comes over at first keep him in the cage until he is okay taking a treat through the cage bars, reinforce his step up training with treats and praise. Potentially use a stick to get him to perch on to avoid getting jiggy with your arm. Also make sure to learn his body language, he is giving you signs he's going to bite, I've never seen or heard of an amazon who doesn't telegraph a bite with a big warning sign first

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Too the other poster what I was looking for was basically what lord Triggs said. I got him at the bird shop about two months ago he was great loved my son my son would hold him all the time. I would say 7-10 bites were my fault but some there were know signs I could pick up on especially when he bit my son.

Most Reactions

Latest posts