You know you’ve had parrrots a long time when…

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Okay, like...
You're the opening speaker at an important meeting with co-workers. The conference room is elegant. You are dressed to the nines; your hair is in a very chic up-do (your neighbor did it); you're even wearing your grandmother's pearls. You place your splendid Dooney & Bourke briefcase on the table and open it with a quick, confident flourish. And then...
The whoosh of the opening lid shoots a huge (and I mean huge) fluffy downfeather up towards the ceiling. The feather then wafts dramatically downwards in 2-foot-diameter spirals, AMAZINGLY landing right back in the case. Your peripheral vision tells you that all eyes watched the feather's journey.
You pick up the feather, put it in your jacket pocket, and do your presentation.

Any words necessary? Nope. Everybody knows you have a parrot.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When you constantly rewrite catchy songs to be parrot appropriate.

The latest is “the Quaker Dance” by Men without Beaks. Pretty sure it involves a lot of head-bobbing.
“The Quaker Dance” can be a terrible ear worm. I’ve been singing it for the last three days.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
when you dream about parrots almost each night

and when the parrots in your dream are not "just" parrots but specific species

Today it was the first time when I was dreaming about parrots and one of them was specific not only species but also subspecies - somebody in the dream said that they have rare eclectus parrots which were called "Sumba subspecies" and females were all red... after waking up I googled to check if they exist and if they really are one of the two "full-red-female-eclectus-subspecies" - yes, they do!!!! I knew them better from their Latin name (E. r. cornelia), honestly I forgot that they were named "Sumba eclectus" in English... but somehow deeply I had to remember it...

1667204372545.png

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
IDK if I've done this one, but you start viewing outdoor or indoor places as "great recall areas," and imagining recalling your birds there.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When your birds have their own dressers and closets full of toys, things to make toys out of, old perches, reserve food, med kit…

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
When you want to make a sandwich and you find a feather with bread 😝 (I have no idea how this happened)

It's not related to having parrots but still related to parrot obsession - I don't have children but the last post reminded me how I was writing on a Discord server made for fans of one cartoon - everyone started writing how they call human versions of the characters and nobody knew I was writing about PARROT versions 😝

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When you want to make a sandwich and you find a feather with bread 😝 (I have no idea how this happened)

It's not related to having parrots but still related to parrot obsession - I don't have children but the last post reminded me how I was writing on a Discord server made for fans of one cartoon - everyone started writing how they call human versions of the characters and nobody knew I was writing about PARROT versions 😝
That emoticon is perfect for “feather-in- mouth” expression.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh, you're right, I chose a wrong emoticon (hopefully the feather wasn't directly with bread, it was just in one bag)
I thought it was a great emoticon. Looks like you are trying to spit the fluffy feather out! I have gotten fluffy feathers in my mouth before.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
when you want to record your parrot singing but each time it stops singing after starting recording (all the time with Jaś until he stopped singing so pretty😭)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
when your parrot is trying to "preen" your face and somebody says "yuck" despite it isn't even touching your lips....

....and when your parrot puts its beak in your mouth

Ps. through "preening" I meant skin nipping, I think that Zenek tries to preen me then but I have no feathers 😝

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
when your parrot is trying to "preen" your face and somebody says "yuck" despite it isn't even touching your lips....

....and when your parrot puts its beak in your mouth
My birds preen my eyelashes but then they start to pull them out.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
...you get highly suspicious of silence

you accidentally say "good bird" to any living being

the screaming and constant noise bugs only visitors

when seeds and pellets in your bed become only as irritating as people food crumbs

poop literally does not faze you

when you have to explain that no, you did not do the shrexy whistle at someone, your bird did

you can easily recognize your bird's voice and distinguish it from other birds of the same species (in my instance, on tv)

when your bird zooms by, literal nanometers from your face and you could not care less

when your bird's tail or wing hits your face while flying by and you do not react whatsoever

when you find feathers in the strangest of places and it's like "huh. anyway..." (I've found one in my friend's house, and she lives on the opposite side of my neighborhood! I've found one in my toilet, behind my painting, in a smoke alarm, and in the shed??? idek how that got there of all places!)

and, when you HATE housework but enjoy cage cleaning and rearranging

Most Reactions

Latest posts